Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Rewording Rules

Remember that we changed our local vs. global decision, so the actual
rules below need to change!  All elements must be globally declared now.
  Also, we didn't forbid mixed content (I thought), just deprecated it
strongly.

Also, to make our lives easier, maybe we want to keep the "declarative"
term definitions separate from the "imperative" numbered rules, so that,
e.g., "intermediate element" can be defined in the glossary as "an
element, not the root element of a document, that contains solely other
elements and does not have data content" -- and then there's a numbered
rule that says "Intermediate elements must be globally declared."

In general, though, I think your word-stylings look great.

	Eve

p.s. I'm taking a short vacation Friday through Tuesday morning, so you
won't see mail from me for a while.  If you need me, call my cell phone.
  Currently I plan to be on the next NDR call for the first half-hour.

Lisa Seaburg wrote:
> Mavis,
> My biggest concern here is that what I am suggesting is saying the same
> thing as the statement.  I need your help interpreting some of them.  I
> am suggesting changing the text in section "4.4.1 Rules for UBL
> elements" in the NDR document from this:
>
>  *[R7] Top-level elements*: Globally declared root elements, functioning
> at the level of a whole business message.
>
> *[R8] Lower-level elements*: Locally declared elements that appear
> inside a business message.
>
> *Intermediate elements*: Elements not at the top level that are of a
> complex type, only containing other elements and attributes.
>
> *[R9] Leaf elements*: Elements containing only character data (though
> they may also have attributes). Note that, because of the XSD mechanisms
> involved, elements that contain only character data but also have
> attributes must be declared with complex types, but such elements with
> no attributes may be declared with simple types or complex types.
>
> *[R10] Mixed-content elements*: Elements that allow both element content
> and data in their content models, and which may have attributes.
>
> *[R11] Empty elements*: Elements that contain nothing (though they may
> have attributes).
>

> To this:
>
>  *[R ] Top-level elements*: All root elements /must be /globally
> declared, and thus function at the level of a whole business message.
>
> *[R ] Lower-level elements*: Lower level elements that appear inside of
> a business message /must be /locally declared.
>
> *[R ] Intermediate elements*: [I don't have any ideas on this one]
> Elements not at the top level that are of a complex type, only
> containing other elements and attributes.
>
> *[R ] Leaf elements*: [This is a hard one, what exactly do we want to
> say here?]  Elements containing only character data but also have
> attributes /must be /declared with complex types.
>
> *[R ] Mixed-content elements*: Mixed content elements /must not /be used.
>
> *[R ] Empty elements*: Empty elements /must not/ be used, unless they
> have attributes with content.  [This goes along with the Nil
> Nillability  position paper I sent in.  So far only Paul Thorpe, Arofan
> and I have agreed on this, silence from the rest.

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com