Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Minutes for today's NDR Meeting - 6 Nov 2002

The NDR SC will meet by phone on Wednesday, 6 November 2002 (Lisa will chair):

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2002&mon=10&day=30&hour=15&min=30&sec=0

Please use the following dial-in information:

      Toll-free (from the U.S.)         +1 888 422 7141
      International access/caller-paid  +1 334 832 4208
      Participant code                  242-630

1. Roll call
    (Eve, Mark, Eduardo regrets)
    Lisa Seaburg, Eve Maler (signed off at X:43), Arofan Gregory, Paul Thorpe, Bill Burcham, Gunther Stuhec, Jon Bosak

2. Acceptance of minutes of previous meeting - Did not have quorum, but did have critical mass.  Continued without accepting minutes.

        Minutes from 30 October:

3. Adoption of agenda

4. Review action items and status

    Mavis: (Not on call, deferred)

  • Turn the free normative text in the NDR document into isolated, numbered rules.

     Eve:

  • Compile a list of the supplementary components and their definitions on a per-CCT basis. Status:  See her email of 11/4/02
  • Ask the Sun XML community to analyze the seriousness of the fragment processing problem with local elements. Status:  unknown.  (Will look into this)

Discussion?

  • Containership - Where did we leave this?          Defered for Mavis to be here.
  • Has anyone had the time to review the new work of the LCSC?
    • Discussion:  The work that Tim has brought forward to LCSC has put the group into flux and stopped work.  There is a problem with understanding,
  • Facets - Gunther and Mavis  - Worked with Mavis, finished the section in the NDR document, there are still some questions, which were sent out last week.
    •    Q:  A restriction of BCCs is simple, but BBIEs is more complex.  Discussion:
      • We read through the Rules in the NDR document and Gunther went through what the examples are and how they work.
      • ACTION ITEM: Gunther to fix examples in NDR document, and do different types of examples.
      • There is still a problem restricting the complex types.
      • Bill had some ideas about how we could do this, Gunther will look into it further.  Discussion through the email list will continue.
      • If we use a new element for the content itself, you inherit the restrictions.
    • Q:  Do you have any idea on how to define the Representation type for integer?
      • We have RT: value, RT: percent, RT: number
      • It would be very useful if we had this,
      • Bill feels we should kick this over to the LCSC and see if they think we need it.
    • We are defining complex types for every BCC.  If UN/CEFACT changes anything inside of a CCT, what happens then?
      • You inherit those changes.
      • If you define a new BCC, you won't copy.  you inherit.
      • ACTION:  Gunther will try out the possibilities and research what happens if the CCT's change.  Can we restrict or extend the BCC?
      • ACTION:  Bill proposes a new piece of work is required here, the Perl script generates XSD for basic BIEs as well as ABIEs.  That means that probably we have to infer the presence of these BIEs declaring the CCT.  This means the LCSC must have all information necessary to allow the Perl script to do this.  Gunther will have to make some changes to the configuration file.  We envision that there is really enough info right now for the script to know right enough to do this.
  • NDR Document Review – Rules discussion - Mavis not on call, deferred to next weeks call.
  • Other Schema representation
    • We were going to discuss what to do about ASN.1 and other schema languages that are out there.
    • These will be annexes to the NDR document.
    • See summary from Paul in last weeks minutes.
  • Referencing Strategies – depending on Gunther’s ability to finish work. Still waiting for response from colleagues, they are reviewing.  Will send to this group once that review cycle is done.
  • Embedded documentation – depending on Arofan’s ability to finish work - Unable to get anything done this week, will be working.

Priority

Work Item

Status

Responsibility

Issues appearing in the
NDR document

Break down into smaller pieces

Mavis

Local vs. global –

Complete.  Need to incorporate into NDR.

Mavis to include

Code lists

Needs new draft

Eve

CCT module work

In progress.  Needs to be broken
down into smaller pieces.  Section 3 work in the NDR document is dependent on this.

Open - Gunter

Containership

Joint effort with LC needs final
resolution.  Still open

Arofan was volunteered by Lisa

Referencing strategies.

Part of CCT Module Work.
Update in progress.  Anticipate position paper on 5 November.

Gunther

 Naming rules

Done

Mavis

Facet outreach

Still working.  Gunter has received material from Lisa.

Lisa and Gunter

MODNAMVER

Complete.

Bill

Embedded
documentation

Needs to be moved to NDR
document.

Arofan

ASN.1 schema

Done – However there is an
issue within the group on
how/should to present this

Larmouth

Updating guiding
principles

In Progress

Mavis/Lisa

Wildcards

Open

Lisa

Nillability

Started.

Lisa

Instance Constraints

Open

Lisa

ACTION: Lisa will send out Nillability paper, Discussion about this today was that we don't want to use it.  Lisa will collect info from different discussions and put forward.  It was put forward that we want to make Nil="false" in all cases.  (Paul and Arofan agreed)

5.  Work through other NDR document "flesh out" issues - Hold for Mavis.

6.  Other Sub-Committees:
  • LCSC - Lisa
    • Open invitation to the entire NDR to help review the new 0p70 model and help the LCSC understand this model and get through this work.
  • Tools and Techniques - Gunther, needs to make changes to Perl script and configuration files.  See notes above.
  • Context Methodology - Arofan and Gunther,
    • ACTION: Ask Eve if she has time to go through notes from past meetings and come out with first draft for this topic.  If she does not have time to do this then find another volunteer.

7.  Next meeting topics
  • November 13 (Eve regrets, Mark will cover)
    • Scope of document on Context Methodology and manual extension, to tell user how to manually extend UBL.  (There has been interest already on this, Jon)
  • November 18-22 F2F Agenda
8.  Adjourn

manager: <
http://lists.oasis-open.org/ob/adm.pl>

Lisa Seaburg
AEON Consulting
Website:
http://shell.gmi.net/~xmlgeek/
Email:  xmlgeek@gmi.net
Alternative Email: xcblgeek@yahoo.com
Phone: 662-562-7676
Cellphone: 662-501-7676

"Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk."