Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] R13 contradiction

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to denigrate anyone/anything by referring to
nightmares!  I had assumed that it was a perl script feature amusingly
and trivially out of control.

If all the identifier-related elements have different types, then under
the global-element regime they must indeed be declared as different
elements with different names (name="{something}ID") and be referred to
with ref="{something}ID".  But if they all are able to be bound to the
exact same type, then there is no reason to have different unique
elements; the parental context of each is enough to distinguish its
unique semantics.  I had thought the script was gratuitously keeping
{somethings} where none were needed....

So, wherever the current spreadsheet has instances of multiple elements
with the same name but different types, then the cleanest way to put
things back into a consistent state is to change the spreadsheet
content.  (Trying to have a script do the job won't work, because there
are semantic decisions to be made here.)  But I had thought that Bill's
tester script found only a few cases of this.  I wouldn't expect
wholesale spreadsheet changes to be made hastily at this point over this
issue.

(I suspect that when we get the full code list solution working, since
identifiers are now first cousins to codes many of them will want to be
uniquely typed, so IDs will eventually have this problem even if they
don't today.)

I'm really sorry that I don't have more time to spend on this right now
than some email moments here and there...  I'm in favor of global
elements, but I'm also in favor of doing the right thing by the schedule
and the expectations of reviewers.  Hopefully these thoughts will help.

	Eve

Tim McGrath wrote:
> Let me correct what i think is a misconception that has led to a
> spurious debate.
>
> The problem the LC had with the documentation is not a 'bug' - it has
> nothing to do with the perl-script generation of schemas.
> it is a logical problem.  If we want to gloablly refernce things called
> "ID"  when we have many different uses of "ID" - we have to have a way
> of saying which "ID" we are talking about.  if we had a schema that said
> "ref=ID"  is it Party.ID or Transport Equipment Seal.ID ??
>
> How else but by saying "Ref=PartyID" or "ref=TransportEquipmentSealID"?
> Dont caste off this as a perl-script bug - it is a side-effect of the
> global referencing rule.
>
> If it is a freakish nightmare - show us what it should be.

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com