Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] UML diagrams for 0p70 cycle3

Tim, et al,

See the attached zip file for UML class diagrams of all schemas in cycle 3
review package.  These are in GIF format.  The reverse engineering algorithm
applies 3 simple rules to obtain the class diagram, which comes very close to
illustrating the core component conceptual model from the spreadsheets.  My
goal for these class diagrams is to facilitate review of the information model
implied by these schemas.  And also to facilitate QA of the schemas to assure
that they reflect the original content analysis.  The class diagrams are
derived only from the XSD source, nothing else.

The mapping rules to UML:

    1.  Remove the "DetailsType" suffix from complexType names.
    2.  For each complexType child element, if its type is either a simpleType
or a complexType with simpleContent, then map that child element to a UML
attribute.
    3.  For the resulting UML attribute name (derived from the child element
name), remove the prefixed class name (i.e., remove the qualified object class
term).  So, "ActualShipmentHandlingCode" is changed to "HandlingCode" because
it is an attribute of the UML class "ActualShipment".

The decomposition into sub-diagrams is based on my visual review of the
diagrams to keep them from becoming too complex and to minimize redundancy
across diagrams.

An additional simplification could be made by removing the representation term
from the attribute name suffix, because this representation term is also
clearly evident in the UML attribute type name (which is a core component type,
e.g. CodeType).

If I were a Java developer working with these schemas, the UML class diagrams
are close to what I would desire as a Java API.

Tim, I'll update document section listing these diagrams and send it to you.

Also,I don't have write access to the ubl-lcsc list, so would someone forward?

Regards,
  Dave Carlson