Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Versioning Notes

| Bill, note this: In Closing Plenary we discussed (Jon brought up)
| that when making a Major change, that will affect backward
| compatibility, that instead of making it in the next Major
| release, you announce the change will be made in the next Major
| release.  So this means you actually go through 2 Major releases,
| the second being where the change actually takes place.

I was describing the policy adopted by Davenport for DocBook (as
well as I could remember it).  The policy was that if you are at
version (N-1).M and you want to make a backwards-incompatible
change then you don't get to make that change in N.0 but just get
to announce in release N.0 that the feature will be changed in
version (N+1).0.

I wasn't urging this, just noting it as something to consider.
Somewhere along the line we might want to ask the opinions of the
co-maintainers of that specification back then:  Eve Maler and
Eduardo Gutentag.

Jon