Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Containership issue with current LCSC samples

Folks:

I really hate to raise the whip over this particular part of the donkey
again (my arm is tired from flogging) but I'm going to anyway...

If I'm right in my understanding of how XSLT works, the lack of nesting in
the sample document is a total nightmare.

If I have a document divided neatly into a header and a body, then any XPath
expression that must be evaluated by the XSLT processor will be able to look
at two nodes, and immediately know not to bother any further with one of
them (which, in the case of the body of a document, may be huge - hundreds
or thousands of line items, for example). If I am writing an XPath to
address some header information, the processor need only iterate over the
relatively limited set of child elements in the header to find all matches.

The way it is now, the processor has to iterate over every child each time -
including every single line item in the order to find things that are
strictly header information. This is going to make XSLT processors, never
known for their blinding speed, even slower, right? My transforms work OK on
the samples, but they're not very large. Some real-world orders, etc., are
very large indeed.

This same principle will be in operation throughout the document, although
it is at the top level that the current schemas seem to be most diifficult.
The only other place we will have trouble is in not having explicit
containers around lists.

We had agreed to re-examine containership only if the resulting LCSC
documents had some actual problem. I believe they do, although this is
strictly a problem with the model-to-XML mapping, and not with the business
modelling at all.

I know some of you (Ken? Eduardo?) know a lot more about this than I do. Am
I wrong about this? Should we not be worried? Please tell me I'm wrong...

I'm happy to put aside the whip and let the poor donkey be, especially since
I'm generally impressed with what LCSC has accomplished here [looks a lot
like xCBL... ;-)], but we did agree to postpone discussions until we had an
actual problem, and I'm afraid I've found one.

Cheers,

Arofan