Subject: Extension by derivation sample

Here is a set of files to illustrate this process.

You have the adapter file/schema drv-extensions.xsd

The original 0p70 sample file UN220OrderInstance1-drv.xml. Note I had to
make changes to this file to make it work with the original schemas.
Question - why weren't the xsi:schema location, etc not defined on this
sample file? Several things needed to be added just to try and validate it
against the Schema.

My modified sample file DRV-220OrderInstance1.xml is setup to use the new
schema and namespace defined in drv-extensions.xsd.

The original sample pointed at my restricted schema does validate because
there is no reference to the new xsi:type=DRV2AddressType. This is the
sample file modified-UN220OrderInstance1-drv.xml.

The original sample pointed at my restricted schema and using the xsi:type
does not validate because there are extra elements that the new schema is
not expecting. This is the sample file broke-UN220OrderInstance1-drv.xml.

Notice in drv-extensions.xsd that I have a restriction than an extension of
the UBL AddressType. It took 2 complexType definitions and names to create
what I finally wanted. So there really are 3 datatypes now for Address -
the original, DRVAddressType and DRV2AddressType. I suppose I could put an
abstract attribute on the DRVAddressType so it wouldn't be allowed. This
might be something else we want to cover in the extensions document.

I'll have a redefine sample soon.

..dan

Derivation.zip

Danny Vint
ACORD                         1 Blue Hill Plaza
                                 PO Box 1529
dvint@acord.org                 Pearl River, NY 10965
http://www.acord.org

Voice:510:522-4703