Subject: FW: [egov] UN XML project gains Microsoft support

Does anyone understand how or why CAM templates have suddenly intercepted
our UBL picture? This thread is referring to the XML rendering of the UN/ECE
code lists which are now available from the UNedocs web-site and which, I
believe, followed an earlier version of our UBL codelists paper.

cheers

Sue

Sue Probert
Tel: +44 1425 275117
Mobile: +44 7798 846652
email: sue.probert@dial.pipex.com <mailto:sue.probert@dial.pipex.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber - XML ebusiness [mailto:Gnosis_@compuserve.com]
Sent: 19 May 2003 17:27
To: Farrukh Najmi
Cc: Paul Spencer; Klaus-Dieter Naujok; OASIS eGov list
Subject: Re: [egov] UN XML project gains Microsoft support

Farrukh,

Added to this - we definately need to gather together the
business use cases.  Obviously simple codelists are a
no-brainer:

<codelist name="Currency codes" type="currency" UID="XXX123456">
  <member value="USD" description="US dollar"/>
</codelist>

type of thing etc - but in the realworld we have
extended needs to be able to cleanly interoperate
between partners and manage the changes and deltas -
your example of Argentinian currency codes and
exchange rates is a good one.

Not to mention business context.

In the CAM system we've engineered a lookup() function
that is extremely flexible - and obviously we want that
to optionally be able to use codelist values retrieved
from registry - so having a common format is a major
plus.

Like you I sense this can potentially all come together
nicely, and for each of the common business use cases
of codelists (there's about five or six of these) we can show
how to engineer and configure the codelist mechanism to
give the desired behaviours.

I'd re-draw your diagram with a bit more fine detail,
something like:

|--------------------------------------------------------------|
|               UBL Business Document instances                |
|--------------------------------------------------------------|
|  CAM template  | UBL Business Document Layout choices        |
|                | Business rules and content references       |
|--------------------------------------------------------------|
|   Business Context |  Core Component BIE                     |
|--------------------------------------------------------------|
|                     Core Component nouns and codelists       |
|--------------------------------------------------------------|
| ebXML Registry Information Model (ebRIM)                     |
|--------------------------------------------------------------|

And of course the UMM model sits above this providing the
business picture, with the BPSS controlling the processing and
determining the context and the transaction instance requirements.

All good customers for registry services of course.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by Farrukh Najmi
>Some of the reasons why the ebRIM ClassificationScheme format is useful
are:

-It is extensible and can handle current and future requirements for
mapping UBL code lists

-It Enables hierarchical code lists (as in UN/eDocs LoCode, Argentinian
currency use cases)

-It provides one common XML schema may be used to represent any code lists

-It makes it easier to manage UBL code lists in an ebXML Registry
enabling automatic content specific cataloging and content specific
semantic validation.

While it will take some time for the dust to settle, a desirable outcome
could well be that CCTS uses ebRIM to define its serialization format,
UBL uses Core Components BIEs and therefor indirectly uses ebRIM format
as the picture below shows:

|               UBL Business Documents                   |
|                     Core Component BIE                     |
| ebXML Registry Information Model (ebRIM) |

<

You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/egov/members/leave_workgroup.ph