Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Rule: 94 Nil - Duplicate

At 10:54 PM 7/15/2003 +0800, Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
>Amendment Required because prohibiting xsd:nil does NOT
>equate with prohibiting empty content element.
>
>Suggested change:
>
>[R 94]: The nillable attribute MUST NOT be used.
>         Empty content element MUST NOT be instantiated
>         UNLESS it is expressly a user-intended indication
>         to instantiate empty content for a given element.

This isn't quite right. In schemas only elements of type string can be
presented as empty in a data stream without using the NIL attribute. The
user indication that nil is the appropriate interpretation is to use this
schema attribute (or we have to create our own method).

We need a statement more like this:

Any element declared to have data, must not appear in a data stream as an
empty element. Elements declared as EMPTY may only appear in the data
stream as an empty element. This rule then prevents the use of the nillable
attribute in the schema definition and the corresponding xsi:nil attribute
in the date stream.

..dan