Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Rule: 85

** Reply to message from Grimley Michael J NPRI <GrimleyMJ@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil>
on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:58:16 -0400

> > [R 85]   Schemas should be designed (or generated) such that instances
> > conforming to them are readable and understandable, and should enable
> > reasonably intuitive interactions.
>
> Better, but I'm still wondering if the judgment of such things is too subjective for a rule ...

My experience is that it isn't *too* subjective.  Perhaps more to the point, as
a general rule I insist on Schema developers doing prototypical instance
documents before they start working on the Schemas, because it leads to more
usable document structures.  Few people can properly visualise what the
instance documents will look like from a knowledge of the Schema, and this
leads to unnecessarily awkward structures in instance documents.  Since UBL has
tended to focus on Schemas rather than instances until recently (from what I
understand), such issues are going to exist (and Stephen in LCSC has been
ferretting them out of late).  So, I think something like this is needed.  If
not a rule, it has to be part of the process.  While there are no absolutes as
to when you have it "completely right", you can certainly aim to get rid of
obvious things that almost everybody dislikes once they see the resulting
instance documents.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language), http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.