Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Rule: 115 and 116 Containers

I don't have a vote but I'll throw in an opinion.

First of all, great discussion. I think Bill's analysis is right on.
That said, I still like container elements (key word "like"). I feel
that instance documents are slightly more intuitive and stylesheets are
more intuitive (key word "feel"). Given that "what Jim likes" is not
known to be a benefit to anyone but Jim, I certainly couldn't argue
against reversing the rule. I hope you don't though.

Regards,
Jim Wilson
CIDX
Chem eStandards & Guidelines Manager

-----Original Message-----
From: Burcham, Bill [mailto:Bill_Burcham@stercomm.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 3:59 PM
To: 'Chin Chee-Kai'; UBL-NDR

I'm with Chee-Kai -- I think [R 116] is wrong.  (I know it's probably
too
late -- but I'm gonna say my peace anyway :-)
The two cases I've heard made in favor of it are:

1. container elements foster more readable stylesheets
2. container elements significantly improve document processing
performance

Argument 1 is weak.  Forgive me for posting working code, but here is an
instance document with superfluous containers:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<doc>
	<SuperfluousContainer>
		<Fruit>Apple</Fruit>
		<Fruit>Orange</Fruit>
		<Fruit>Banana</Fruit>
	</SuperfluousContainer>
</doc>

And here is a stylesheet to process it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:transform version="1.0"
	<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
indent="yes"/>
	<xsl:template match="doc">
		<xsl:element name="NewDoc">
			<xsl:apply-templates select="current()/*"/>
		</xsl:element>
	</xsl:template>
	<xsl:template match="SuperfluousContainer">
		<BeforeFruit/>
		<xsl:apply-templates select="current()/*"/>
		<AfterFruit/>
	</xsl:template>
	<xsl:template match="Fruit">
		<AFruit>
			<xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
		</AFruit>
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:transform>

And here is the output:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<NewDoc>
	<BeforeFruit/>
	<AFruit>Apple</AFruit>
	<AFruit>Orange</AFruit>
	<AFruit>Banana</AFruit>
	<AfterFruit/>
</NewDoc>

The example injects an element before the first fruit and after the last
one.  That's the example we've been discussing for a couple years as
being
the bugaboo here.

And here is an analogous source instance doc -- this time with no
superfluous containers:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<doc>
	<Fruit>Apple</Fruit>
	<Fruit>Orange</Fruit>
	<Fruit>Banana</Fruit>
</doc>

And here is a different stylesheet to process this one:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:transform version="1.0"
	<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
indent="yes"/>
	<xsl:template match="doc">
		<xsl:element name="NewDoc">
			<xsl:apply-templates select="current()/*"/>
		</xsl:element>
	</xsl:template>
	<xsl:template match="Fruit">
		<xsl:if test="position() = 1">
		<BeforeFruit/>
		</xsl:if>
		<AFruit>
			<xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
		</AFruit>
		<xsl:if test="position() = last()">
		<AfterFruit/>
		</xsl:if>
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:transform>

Comparing the two stylesheets I note that the one for superfluous
containers
is 19 lines and the one for repeating elements (with no superfluous
containers) is 20 lines.  That's only one line of code difference.  And
don't think the second stylesheet is any less readable than the first.

If I look at the two source documents, and extrapolate to larger
documents
with more nesting I can say with certainty that superfluous containers
make
for larger documents and IMHO are a bit harder for humans to read -- do
the increase in indentation necessitated by the deeper hierarchy.

As for point 2 (processing performance), that's just Voodoo Computer
Science.  So, which XML processing tools are we using for comparison?
Which
versions of those tools?  What is the use-case/scenario/algorithm?  How
big
is the document?  Worst-case, if you tell me that the document is HUGE
then
I'll tell you a) the Bolivian rug-weaver using Perl as the processing
tool
isn't gonna see the HUGE document and b) the company (Wal*Mart) that
sees
the HUGE document can darn-well write a transform on the incoming
document
(or four or five transforms) that make it more amenable to efficient
processing.

But you know what -- I still haven't seen any real _evidence_ that
superfluous containers provide any processing performance advantage in
the
first place.  It's more likely they hurt performance since they
_definitely_
make documents larger!

So by my count, it's:

Superfluous containers:  they make documents bigger (inflicting a
processing
burden) and harder for humans to read
Repeated elements (no superfluous containers): they make documents
smaller
and easier for humans to read, and necessitate a tiny bit more XSLT code
in
some situations.

Down with [R 116]!

Bill Burcham
Sr. Software Architect, Integration Software Development
Sterling Commerce, Inc.
469.524.2164
bill_burcham@stercomm.com