Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Rule: 91

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Eve L. Maler wrote:

>>Actually, I believe naming does equate with being global.  A
>>topLevelComplexType requires its name attribute, and a localComplexType
>>prohibits its name attribute from being used.  Roughly the same is true
>>for simple types.  (See http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd )

No, without loss of generality, let's just look at complexType.

A complexType definition is global if and only if it is located
as one of the immediate children under <xsd:schema>.

A complexType is named if and only if the name attribute exists
in the definition.

I refer you to XML Schema Part 1: Structures, Section 4.2.2
example "v2.xsd" part of which is illustrated:

 <xs:redefine schemaLocation="v1.xsd">
  <xs:complexType name="personName">
   <xs:complexContent>
    <xs:extension base="personName">

By definition, this <xs:complexType> definition is not global
(not necessarily local), AND named.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML