Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Rule: 91

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Eve L. Maler wrote:

>>Aha, so "top level" not-equal "global".  Thanks for the correction.

If your "top-level" means "immediate child of <xsd:schema>",
then "top level" is "global".   But what I'm saying is
"naming" != "global".

>>In that case, the rule should not say "...which then requires their
>>declarations be globally defined."  If we want to prohibit redefinition,
>>we ideally should do that in a separate rule, and not (incorrectly)
>>imply that naming a type means the definition must be directly beneath
>><xsd:schema>.

Wait, I'm not saying anything about using or prohibiting
<xsd:redefinition>,  all I'm quoting is that a named  complexType
can be a non-immediate child of <xsd:schema>, thus giving a
counter-example to the assertion that "naming" == "global".

The original rule wordings were:

[R 91]   All type declarations MUST be global.

which says what it wants to say already.

A rule about redefinition, if there's an intention to do so,
would rightly be in a separate rule as you suggested.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979