Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Rule: 115 and 116 Containers

** Reply to message from Chin Chee-Kai <cheekai@softml.net> on Mon, 21 Jul 2003
12:52:47 +0800 (SGT)

[ This is for a M..N cardinality: ]

> >>1. If N <= 1 (i.e. <Thing> is 0..1 or 1..1), then <Thing> does not have a
> >>container.
> >>2. If N >= 2 (e.g. 0..2, 1..2, 2..2, 0..3, 1..3, ...) then <Thing> has a
> >><ThingList> container.
> >>3. If M = 0, the cardinality of <Thing> inside <ThingList> is 1..N, and the
> >>cardinality of <ThingList> is 0..1.
> >>4. If M >= 1, the cardinality of <Thing> inside <ThingList> is M..N, and the
> >>cardinality of <ThingList> is 1..1.

> There was a part in the 4-rules that mentioned about
> containers being optional for 0..n.  I'm sorry for being
> sloppy here as I can't dig back to point out precisely
> which of the 4-rules said that, but just recall from memory.
> The part that's not clear is that when a container for 0..n
> is said to be "optional", it means (or at least one interpretation
> can mean) when it is time to instantiate, it is optionally
> up to the creator to instantiate the container or not.

No, it's not optional whether you create the container.  If N <= 1, you do not
create a container.  If N >= 2, you do create a container.

> Something like your third if-then hasn't yet said, for
> an example case of Thing being 0..2, whether <ThingList>
> should be 0 or should be 1.  if-then-2 says <ThingList>
> should exist.  if-then-3 says <ThingList> can be 0 or 1.
> I'm sure the answer is clear in your minds, but the rules
> haven't made that undisputably clear.
>
> Do the if-thens apply in order?

Yes.  Sorry, I didn't make that clear.  Rules 3 and 4 only apply if rule 2
applies.  If rule 1 applies, no other rules apply.  So for 0..2, <ThingList> is
0..1, and it contains 1..2 <Thing> elements.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language), http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.