Subject: Containers?

Just got to thinking about the line items and the head issue/rules. I don't
want to prolong the discussion but like several folks I'm a proponent of
containers, but maybe not "generated" containers. It appears that ABIEs are
containers that the business folks somehow deem important/worthy of being
business objects.

In John's email he mentioned the Line Items were not in a container and on
today's call the indication was that the rules for having a "head" group
separate from the "body" group was also going to be removed.

Don't other people see an "order" being composed of something like this?

<PurchaseOrder>
	<OrderDetails>
		Date
		Purchaser
		Shipping Address
		etc
	</OrderDetails>
	<Order>
		<Item> *
			sku
			color
			qty ordered
			part number
			desc
			price
		</item>
	</Order>
</PurcahseOrder>

Now I've written these as XML, but aren't these general concepts that you
would talk about and work with normally? Those look like some of the
containers we were trying to generate Head => OrderDetails and Container =>
Order.

I haven't looked at the details but maybe someone is being to "strict" on
the business data/library side and there are some more natural objects that
would satisfy some of our qualms/feelings that something is wrong and still
allow the Library folks to work with business data and not worry about XML
details. In this case it isn't just an XML concern it feels like something
is missing anyway.

..dan
Danny Vint
ACORD                          ACORD
                                           2 Blue Hill Plaza - 3rd Floor
dvint@acord.org                Pearl River, NY 10965
http://www.acord.org

Voice:510:522-4703             HQ Phone: 845.620.1700
FAX: 801-749-3229