Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] range of valid values for cc types

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#decimal (excerpt below) specifies
decimal quite specifically in terms of numbers of digits and leading
+/-, etc, and since both positive and negative values are intrinsic to
the data type, unless we've restricted it somehow already (which I
couldn't find) I don't think it would require any special handling:

decimal has a lexical representation consisting of a finite-length
sequence of decimal digits (#x30-#x39) separated by a period as a
decimal indicator. If ·totalDigits·
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dt-totalDigits> is specified, the
number of digits must be less than or equal to ·totalDigits·
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dt-totalDigits>. If ·fractionDigits·
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dt-fractionDigits> is specified, the
number of digits following the decimal point must be less than or equal
to the ·fractionDigits·
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dt-fractionDigits>. An optional
leading sign is allowed. If the sign is omitted, "+" is assumed. Leading
and trailing zeroes are optional. If the fractional part is zero, the
period and following zero(es) can be omitted. For example: -1.23,
12678967.543233, +100000.00, 210.

Looking at the ccts and our cct xsd from beta, they're just a
pass-through of the above (and a few other xs specification details).
 But you might want to read through this part of the schema spec
(decimal and datetime), if you haven't already.

However it sounds from your question that you're also asking about
formatting (when/how to use the period as a thousands separator, etc)?
 Wouldn't this be more a contextualized (locale-specific) presentation
issue more than a datatype issue?  Your suggestion to associate it with
each type of currency I think is how it's currently done in most
application localisation processes.  The numeric display details are
specified as part of the overall locale which would also include
language, currency, date/time zone, character type (single or
multi-byte), collation sequencing, etc.  At least this is how I'm used
to it being handled.  It's a localization issue, and is often handled by
os level translation routines.

-A