Subject: Re: [ubl-psc] Groups - UBL/Tax XML Planning Meeting added

Tim,

Since we weren't able to discuss your latest model during the call last
week, I'll include some questions and comments here.

First of all, I agree that much of the confusion was a result of the Tax
Category being associated with an Item.  Adding Tax Classification as a way
to classify items independent of their participation in a transaction is
what TaxXML had in mind for Item Tax Category (I have no problem with the
alternate name).  Also, you may want to consider including an attribute for
a classification code such as the harmonized code or other coding scheme.

However, I'm still not sure that I understand how you've described Tax
Category.  The examples for Tax Category listed below; "Zero-Rated Goods",
"NonTaxable" and "Standard Rate" are important descriptions that should be
included to qualify the tax information, but I don't see how the attributes
in Tax Category are appropriate.  Your description of Tax Category says "
this may be only indicative, the actual rate [or] other caluculation
attributed to an item is dependent on the tax jurisdiction".  I would think
that the invoice should include the details of the actual tax imposed
rather than what's indicative.  This tax could be categorized by Tax
Category as appropriate, but the category would be just that and not
include the tax rates which are dependant on the context.  Here's a rough
alteration of your diagram to show what I have in mind:

By the way, I may still not fully understand Tax Scheme, but for my
interpretation I would expect that the Jurisdiction is a necessary
attribute as well as the name of the tax that's imposed.  Any further
clarification on this would be appreciated.

I look forward to any further discussion on these topics.

Regards,

John Glaubitz