Subject: SV: [ubl-psc] Rationalizing Related Document, Billing Document and Document Reference.

Hi Tim

I appreciate your diagrams but could I extend your task to also express this
in a Spreadsheet, marked with a color?

/Peter

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Tim McGrath [mailto:tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au]
Sendt: 6. december 2005 06:38
Til: ubl-psc@lists.oasis-open.org
Emne: [ubl-psc] Rationalizing Related Document, Billing Document and
Document Reference.

On Monday's PSC call I was given the task to rationalize the various
ways we have used to relate documents to other documents.  This was
because it appeared that we had several structures for performing
similar functions.

The main issue was why we had Related Document and Billing Document when
both had a similar set of associations.  (see attached
DocumentreferenceCurrent class diagram)

The way I approached this was to recognize that we had Invoice Line,
Debit Line and Credit Line (aka the Billing Documents) that may
reference other documents.  We also had Statement Line and Remittance
Line (the advisory documents) that may also reference other documents.

My rationalization (see attached class diagram)  was primarily to
rename "Related Document" to be "Accounting Document Reference" and
combine this with the old "Billing Document" structure.  In effect
Accounting Document Reference is an extension of Document Reference for
"accounting" documents.  The qualification of what type of accounting
document is then given by the name of the role in the association to
Document Reference.

Some other effects of this were:
* "Related Document Line" becomes "Accounting Document Reference Line"
* By creating two possible associations to "Accounting Document
Reference Line" (one called Debit and one called Credit) we dont need to
DebitLine or CreditLine in the Remittance Advice Line or the Statement
Line.  This is because these documents are reflecting (or summarizing)
the accounting transactions of the Accounting Document Reference.  Their
'amounts' are duplications of those other values.
* Line Reference may associate with either a Document Reference or an
Accounting Document Reference.

Overall, this gives us a symmetry with the way both billing documents
and advisory documents show references to other documents and their
transactions.

If no-one has any objections to this  then perhaps Peter can build it
into draft 11 for review of Friday's call?

--
regards
tim mcgrath

DOCUMENT ENGINEERING: Analyzing and Designing Documents for Business
Informatics and Web Services
http://www.docengineering.com/