Subject: [Fwd: Re: VS: The business case for signatures - is it really there?]

forwarding this to the list for archive.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:23:33 +0800
From: Tim McGrath <tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au>
To: Mikkel Hippe Brun <mhb@itst.dk>
CC: 'Mark Leitch' <ml@tritorr.com>, Peter Larsen Borresen <plb@itst.dk>, 'Sylvia Webb' <swebb@gefeg.com>

David Burdett (david.Burdett@commerceone.com) noted on 27 Feb 2003 as comments to UBL 0p70...
<>
Often the authenticity of a UBL document will need to be determined using cryptographic techniques. One way of doing this is to sign the document together with the envelope in which it is contained as, for example, ebXML Messaging provides [1]. However, this means that you HAVE to keep the message around in order to later prove authenticity when the message is being processed. This adds to complexity and only works if messaging protocols such as ebXML Messaging are being used.
A better alternative is to include an XML DSig digital signature [2] element as an *optional* element at the root level of every UBL document. I would also recommend that a guideline is provided that describes how XML digital signatures should be used inside a UBL document in order to improve interoperability.
[1] ebXML Messaging specifications, http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-msg/#documents
[2] W3C XML Digital Signature Specification, http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/
and
Response from Eve Maler:
I agree with David's comment.  If you rely on digital signing only at the message envelope layer, then the payload becomes dependent on having the message layer around when the latter would otherwise have been discarded.
and it came back i again from Crimson Logic in April 2005 as...
<>
Signature to prove integrity, and origin of the document data. An electronic signature is a requirement at document level, as defined by appropriate standards.  This may be applied to the whole of the document data (with the exception of the signature element).
Neither of these present the use case you describe (which is new to me).

Dave was the Editor of the ebXML MS project and I trust him to understand the requirement beyond being an enveloping issue.  His use case involves marketsites/gateways that must open documents to route them and then detach the signatures.  So the applications don't see the signature.  For audit and control it may be a requirement to prove a document's authenticity in the future and without a reference to the signature the document wont be able to say anything about it.

We have spent many long hours discussing this and the TC did agree to provide such a solution.  It has taken us 3 years to design one (which I think is quite elegant). So I suggest we put this into the 2.0 review package and see what comments we get.