Subject: RE: [ubl-psc] Weights and measures in Order documents

Tim,

The answer is yes.  As I recall, these summary weights and measures are used for some downstream material handling and transportation pricing applications.

Regards,
Sylvia

From: Tim McGrath [mailto:tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:00 PM
To: swebb@gefeg.com
Cc: ubl-psc@lists.oasis-open.org

Sorry my explanation wasn't too good.

I agree that ordering by amount, volume, weight is necessary.  We do this at the Line Item level.

The question is whether we need to  have a summary of these at the document level. For example, the total weight of all flour and sugar in this order.  Does it make sesne to have these as totals for the entire Order?

Sylvia Webb wrote:
These are very important in the consumer products and retail industry where the amount ordered, shipped, and invoiced are based weight, volume, and quantity packed. Examples of commodities are raw materials like fabric and foods like flour, sugar, wines and spirits, etc.

Ordering, shipping, and invoicing in the petroleum and chemical industries may be weight and volume based as well.

Regards,
Sylvia