Subject: RE: [ubl-psc] Re: Statement document was: [ubl-psc] Weights and measures in Order documents

Title: Re: Statement document  was: [ubl-psc] Weights and measures in Order documents
Mark,

In the US, the legally binding document is the purchase order. There are no legal requirements that any other documents contain any specific data.

In the case of Reminders, what is important is that any payable charges be defined in the order.  The information contained in the actual Reminder is then optional as long as it references the original order. The same is true for invoices.  In fact, language in the PO can state that invoices are optional and sent only as a courtesy.

Regards,
Sylvia

From: Mark Leitch [mailto:ml@tritorr.com]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 10:12 AM
To: Sylvia Webb; ubl-psc@lists.oasis-open.org

Just picking up on your second point Sylvia........

Denmark has requested the addition of a Rate Reminder document for suppliers to remind customers of unpaid invoices; the message also gives notice of payable charges at various rates for the late payment.

I have checked this with HMRC in the UK and am advised that, depending on certain technicalities, the charges in the Rate Reminder are either a) exempt from tax or b) outside the scope of tax.  However, although taxes do not apply in the Rate Reminder, it has to be a tax document in order to state that taxes do not apply.  This may also be the case as regards your second point.

Please can you check this before we start writing the supporting documentation.  I have also copied this to Dave Chambers at HMRC in the knowledge that:
  1. his knowledge is greater than mine in this area of fiscal metaphysics and
  2. he is on the Tax group, but this is the only way I know to address him.

Dave, your comments are welcome on this point.

This may seem pedantic, if not fastidious, but we must be clear on the fundamental use of the documents.

Regards, Mark

Mark Leitch
Director - Tritorr Ltd
Tel.:   +44 1932 821112