Subject: Re: [ubl-psc] New issues from Northern European Subset group

Hi Martin

Mmm, but is the UN/CEFACT way for this a design-in-progress or is it
actually a standard way of doing things? Industry standards use message
headers, there's no doubt about that, when handling XML. How the
downstream process caters for that depends on the implementation
software but the message header is usually passed around the system in
some way, I think, not necessarily intact but rather as metadata passed
on from header to header or via XML routers with pre-configured
'knowledge' of what to do dependant on some metadata which needn't be
in the document itself but can be associated with the document in some way.
What might be needed is the same sort of thing as a content management
system uses - there the metadata doesn't mix with the content, ideally (MVC).

I'm still unconvinced but we do need to look at the detail. Is this just about
designing the document to match a particular product, for example? The
application of MVC principles and patterns and better still of the managed
public processes application pattern (as used with PIPs, etc) seem better
than to try to accommodate individual proprietary products and less optimal
patterns. I'd rather UBL were designed to the best patterns than designed
to products. That's if there is time and resources to do so of course.

All the best

Steve