Subject: UBL 2.0 and Bill of Materials was... Re: UBL2 Help - please

After checking with our experts I can tell you that the approach you
take depends if the sublines are chargeable separate items or are they
descriptive attributes of a single chargeable item.

In other words does your Order need to look like this...

"1 PC system"    Cost €1000.00
    comprising:
    "1 LCD Screen part number lcd0001"
    "1 CPU system"
        comprising:
        "1 CPU 3.6HZ part number cpu1"
        "2 Disk Drive 500Gb part number hd1"
        "1 Graphic Card part number grph005"

or
"1 PC system"
    comprising:
    "1 LCD Screen part number lcd0001" Cost €500.00
    "1 CPU system"
        comprising:
        "1 CPU 3.6HZ part number cpu1" Cost €100.00
        "2 Disk Drive 500Gb part number hd1" Cost €200.00
        "1 Graphic Card part number grph005" Cost €200.00

or even
"1 PC system"
    comprising:
    "1 LCD Screen part number lcd0001" Cost €500.00
    "1 CPU system" Cost €500.00
        comprising:
        "1 CPU 3.6HZ part number cpu1"
        "2 Disk Drive 500Gb part number hd1"
        "1 Graphic Card part number grph005"

In a post-order phase of procurement we focus on 'items' as being transactionable events - so each LineItem is a request for (or charge for) a single item with its own monetary value.
This means in documents like Order and Invoice, the Item is the thing with the amount value against it.
In many cases to describe the composition of these Items you would use the text description (because that is all you need to know). If you needed to be more structured then you could use the AdditonalItemProperty to define the components.

A fully structured Bill of Materials is not the common-case requirement for within a post-Order document. It is more likely found in pre-Order documents - such as Catalogues.  So if you wanted to refer to a fully described Bill of Materials then you would use a UBL Catalogue document to describe the complete structure of the item and any relationship to other items (using CatalogueLine/Item and /ComponentRelatedItem) and then reference this as an attached document (in the OrderLine/CatalogueLineReference)

Sorry this seems rather convoluted but it appears the term 'bill of materials' has different interpretations and hopefully this answer lines up with your requirement!

If you need further explanation feel free to contact the chair of the UBL Procurement Subcommittee, Peter Borresen (plb@itst.dk)- who is also copied on this.

--
regards
tim mcgrath