Subject: SV: UBL 2.0 and Bill of Materials - follow up

Title: UBL 2.0 and Bill of Materials - follow up
Hi Ian

I understand your strugle. Items are in UBL seem as information about what is traded. The focus has been on identifing the item, not to model its content. In a UBL Order every Item is attached throug a lineItem, that also can contain a price. Where an Item specifies "What", an lineItem specifies the claim details used in the transaction (How many, when do I want it, to what price, etc). If you have a need for structured information about the item without price information there are the following posibillities:

1) Set up your own name-value specification in AdditionalItemProperty and ItemPropertyGroup
2) Use a new documenttype, like BOM in the ItemSpecificationDocumentReference
3) Use a catalog document as Tim suggested.

If none of these fullfill your need I would like to ask whether it would help if we added a SubItem [0..n] inside Item in version 2.1, so you can describe an Item hierarchy.

/Peter

Fra: ian.c.jones@bt.com [mailto:ian.c.jones@bt.com]
Sendt: 29. november 2007 15:29
Til: Peter Borresen
Cc: derrick.evans@bt.com; tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au
Emne: UBL 2.0 and Bill of Materials - follow up

Peter,

        I am still struggling to understand how we could build a UBL Order message with sub components.  From Tim McGrath's e-mail I believe we may need to handle all of his scenarios as we deal with a very large product set that may be assembled in a number of ways.  Some components will be sold as both an individual order line item and as a sub-line both priced and un-priced.  This is our challenge - we have many business operating units that can mix and match components in different ways and they want to become even more flexible so a simple "this is the only way" solution is not possible.  Following from Tim's suggestion I have looked at the catalogue message and I can see how that gives a Bill of Materials structure but that does not solve my problem as the users may not wish to create individual catalogue entries for each of the possible combinations.   My users requirement is for the BOM to be in the order/invoice as that is the model they understand and are comfortable with and do not wish to invest in catalogue messages at this time.

        I know very little about UBL and I am acting as an intermediary so I may have missed Tim's point - what we really need is simple examples of how we would build UBL messages that support as a minimum Tim's scenarios.  I have a fear that we will actually need an open end BOM structure as in the past I worked on an EDI Invoice that had a 6 layer line item structure to accurately reflect the data needed and could contain over 100,000 item lines in 1 invoice.

Ian Jones
E-Commerce Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)117 302 4063
Email: ian.c.jones@bt.com
Address:  PP GF, Ty Cynnal, Watkiss Way, Grangetown, Cardiff, CF11 0SW
www.bt.com
British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street, London, ECIA 7AJ
Registered in England no. 1800000

This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunications which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.

Activity and use of the BT Telecommunications  e-mail system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes.