Subject: Tax Tiers

Here's another tax question.

We currently have these definitions:

   Tax Category. Tier Range. Text

      Where a tax is tiered, the range of tiers applied in the
      calculation of the tax subtotal for the tax category.

   Tax Category. Tier Rate. Percent

      Where a tax is tiered, the rate of tax applied to the range of
      tiers in the calculation of the tax subtotal for the tax category.

   Tax Subtotal. Tier Range. Text

      Where a tax is tiered, the range of tiers applied in the
      calculation of the tax subtotal for the tax category.

   Tax Subtotal. Tier Rate. Percent

      Where a tax is tiered, the rate of tax applied to the range of
      tiers in the calculation of the tax subtotal for the tax category.

I'm not sure what it means to apply a rate to "the range of tiers" in
calculating a tax subtotal.  Does this perhaps mean "the range of values
in the tier applicable to the calculation of the tax subtotal for the
tax category"?  I.e., the endpoints of the range for that tier?  I ask
because then it would make sense to apply a single Tier Rate per tier.

Jon (writing from that part of New York state known as The Southern Tier)