Subject: Fwd: Re: a tax issue!

Here is the response we got from the ex-Tax XML TC participants with respect to the Tax Tier question.

The Model Andy refers to is the OASIS Indirect Tax Reference Model Version 2.0:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25886/taxxml-indirect_tax-2.0-reference_model-wd-07.pdf

We spent quite some time and effort to align UBL 2.0 with their model so it should be familiar to us.

There is also some comments on their mail archive that says...
For a simple percentage-tax the name/identifier of the relevant tax
structure for ease of understanding might be just that rate ("5%" instead of
something like "LowRate"), but for a tiered structure, it would have to be a
name of that structure and not the rate that happens to apply in the
particular situation. The actual numeric rate resulting from the application
of the function (you might say an intermediary result of the calculation)
may or may not be something you want to include in the document along with
the resulting tax amount.

Based on this I propose we make the definitions:

Tax Category. Tier Range. Text

      Where a tax is tiered, the range of taxable amounts that define the rate of tax to apply for the tax category.

   Tax Category. Tier Rate. Percent

      Where a tax is tiered, the tax rate that applies within a specified range of taxable amounts for the tax category.

   Tax Subtotal. Tier Range. Text

      Where a tax is tiered, the range of taxable amounts that define the rate of tax to apply for the tax subtotal.

   Tax Subtotal. Tier Rate. Percent

      Where a tax is tiered, the tax rate that applies within a specified range of taxable amounts for the tax subtotal.

In addition we should put into the main UBL documentation a definition of tiered tax:
   Tiered Tax – A rate of Tax that varies according to a level of the taxable basis within a set of defined ranges.  For example, Sales Taxes may be applied as:
Total sale under $30 = 5%
Total sale $30 to $149.99 = 7.5%
Total sale $150 or more = 10%

Where "Total sale under $30" is the name of the Tier Range and "5%" is the Tier Rate.