ubl-sbsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-sbsc] Minutes Small Business SC call 17th May 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
To: <ubl-sbsc@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:14 PM

> At 2005-05-18 17:19 +0100, Stephen Green wrote:
> >I don't think there are any other parts of
> >the NDR which are relevant other than
> >the XSD requirement
>
> I'll have to check them ... I thought there were rules like
> leading-capital-camel-case for elements and leading-lower-camel-case for
> attributes ... things like that.  And there is no namespace for the
support
> file as it is standalone and monolithic ... no need for a namespace ... do
> I still have to create one and complicate my software further?

I think these rules really only apply where there is a need to prevent
clashes between unique 'entity' names in a library scenario such as
UBL is. Our schema and purposes are completely at the other end
of the spectrum. If it was a matter of keeping the NDR to this extent
then we'd need to comply with ISO11179 too and CCTS for that
matter - in an area where these standards weren't designed to cover.
Then we'd have to use UBLish or the like to create the schemas. But
since our instances aren't expected to be messages (though I'd not
want to rule it our altogether), I see no reason to do this except just
to be absolutely sure to comply with everything possible. I did think
we should do this at first to aid adoption outside of UBL but as I think
about it more it seems nonsensical to comply with rules designed
for business messages when we aren't (probably) producing a business
message. After all, the schemas used to define the ISO 15000 stack don't
use ISO11179 or even ISO1500-5 (ebXML-CCTS)!! (as far as I know).

> True ... but just give me a bit of time please to try and shortcut some
> criticisms ... it would be waste of time for 10 people to take the time to
> make comments on something that we know we will have to change.  I'm
> learning this from my ISO secretariat work.

I agree.

Steve