ubl-sbsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-sbsc] Input from Altova

Folks

I very much agree with the comment about
the empty instances. I would like to add a
set of valid 'empty' instances and tend to
think they could replace rather than supplement the completely empty
instances.
Do others agree/consent?

All the best

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: <jon.bosak@sun.com>
To: <ubl-sbsc@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:01 PM
Subject: [ubl-sbsc] Input from Altova

Hello SBSC,

Here is the SBS 1.0 input from Alexander Falk at Altova.

Jon

======================

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:34:44 -0400
From: Alexander Falk <al@altova.com>
Subject: RE: Reply from Altova...
To: jon.bosak@sun.com

Hi Jon:

I finally found the time to do some more work with UBL 1.0 and the UBL 1.0
SBS. Here are my comments and responses - in no particular order:

1. Adding UBL 1.0 schemas to XMLSpy's schema library:

As expected, adding the UBL 1.0 schemas to an XMLSpy installation was
straightforward. I downloaded the UBL 1.0 ZIP file, copied the "xsd"
subdirectory into the "schemas" subdirectory under the XMLSpy install dir,
and changed the name from "xsd" to "UBL". Then I added the following lines
to the "CustomCatalog.xml" file in the XMLSpy install dir:

<!--UBL Section-->
<uri name="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:Order-1.0"
uri="schemas/UBL/maindoc/UBL-Order-1.0.xsd"/>
<uri name="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:OrderResponse-1.0"
uri="schemas/UBL/maindoc/UBL-OrderResponse-1.0.xsd"/>
<uri
name="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:OrderResponseSimple-1.0"
uri="schemas/UBL/maindoc/UBL-OrderResponseSimple-1.0.xsd"/>
<uri name="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:OrderChange-1.0"
uri="schemas/UBL/maindoc/UBL-OrderChange-1.0.xsd"/>
<uri
name="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:OrderCancellation-1.0"
uri="schemas/UBL/maindoc/UBL-OrderCancellation-1.0.xsd"/>
<uri name="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:DespatchAdvice-1.0"
uri="schemas/UBL/maindoc/UBL-DespatchAdvice-1.0.xsd"/>
<uri name="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:ReceiptAdvice-1.0"
uri="schemas/UBL/maindoc/UBL-ReceiptAdvice-1.0.xsd"/>
<uri name="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:Invoice-1.0"
uri="schemas/UBL/maindoc/UBL-Invoice-1.0.xsd"/>

This file is an OASIS catalog file that can be edited by any user. After I
had modified that file, I quit and restarted XMLSpy and from that moment on,
opening any of the SBS example files (with or without URL) resulted in those
files getting validated against my local copy of the UBL 1.0 schemas. I will
discuss with our CTO if we can simply distribute these schemas with the next
version of XMLSpy, so that users don't have to go through these steps, but
get the schemas installed by default and also find these OASSIS catalog
entires in the "MainCatalog.xml" file that ships with XMLSpy.

2. Working with the SBS filled examples in the "xml" directory

After making the above changes to the catalog file, opening any of the SBS
filled example files (with or without URI) resulted in XMLSpy successfully
showing the respective editing entry helpers and validating those files
against the corresponding schemas, so that working with those files was
immediately possible without any errors or inconveniences. Including these
examples with XMLSpy is, therefore, also a possibility that I will discuss
with our CTO.

3. Working with the SBS filled examples in the "xml-generated" directory

All these examples could be validated as well. However, they provide little
value in illustrating to the business user what an example document might
look like. They are certainly of interest to developers, but I am not sure,
if I would want to include those in the Examples that we ship with XMLSpy,
since they might be more confusing than helping to further the spread of
UBL.

4. Working with the SBS empty templates in the "xml-generated" directory

This is the area, where - as I had already indicated in our conversation
last week - I would suggest some changes to the SBS committee, if I may.
When shipping empty template documents with a software product, the goal is
to make these usable in such a way that a user can create a valid document
with the least amount of effort. It does, therefore, greatly help if the
template document itself is a valid XML document. Unfortunately, none of the
empty templates are presently valid. This is due to the fact that all XML
elements and attributes in these templates have an empty value - even those
where the XML schema clearly forbids that. I would, therefore, suggest that
a better approach would be to only leave those elements and attributes empty
where such empty values are indeed permitted by the XML schema, and to
choose reasonable default values for those other elements or attributes,
where an empty value is forbidden by the schema. If those default values are
picked reasonably (such as 0 for any quantity, 0.00 for any amount, the date
1900-01-01 for any date, USD for any currency) so that they can immediately
be identified as placeholders, I believe the user is better served, because
they get presented with a document template that they can start to fill in,
instead of an error message from the XML parser that the template is not
valid.

I am attaching a modified form of "Order.xml" that shows the few changes
that I would recommend, and this pattern can easily be applied to the other
empty templates as well.

I hope that this feedback is useful. Please let me know if I can help in any
other way.

Best regards,

Alexander

... Alexander Falk
... President & CEO
... Altova, Inc.

... Member of the W3C Advisory Committee

AltovaŽ accelerates development and integration projects with soft-
ware, services and solutions that enhance productivity and maximize
results. Uncover why Altova is the smart choice of over 1.8 million
applications developers worldwide!  Look into www.altova.com today!
XMLSpy MapForce StyleVision SchemaAgent  UModel  DiffDog  Authentic
NEW in v2005:  Advanced standards compliance,  XSLT 2.0, XPath 2.0,
XQuery 1.0, UML 2.0, UN/EDIFACT, ANSI X.12 EDI, Eclipse integration

Altova, XMLSpy, MapForce, StyleVision, SchemaAgent, UModel, DiffDog
and Authentic are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Altova
GmbH in the United States of America  and numerous other countries.
The information transmitted in this message and/or as an attachment
to it  is intended  only for the  person or  entity to  which it is
addressed and may contain confidential  and/or privileged material.
Any  review,  retransmission,  dissemination  or  other use of,  or
taking of any action in reliance upon,  this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error,  please contact  the sender  and delete the
material from any computer.  Altova GmbH  and  Altova, Inc.  do not
accept legal responsibility  for the contents of this message.  Any
views or opinions  presented are solely  those of the author and do
not  necessarily  represent those of  Altova GmbH and  Altova, Inc.
unless otherwise specifically stated. Thank you!