ubl-ssc message

Subject: UBL Software SC agenda, 1/2 July 2004

[Last week's minutes are attached.]

The UBL Software Subcommittee will meet on 1/2 July 2004

The Atlantic call will occur at 16H00 - 17H00 UTC :

   09h00 - 10h00 Thursday San Francisco
   12h00 - 13h00 Thursday Washington
   17h00 - 18h00 Thursday London
   Midnight - 1:00 Friday Singapore

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=1&month=7&year=2004&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

and the Pacific call will occur at 00h00 - 1h00 UTC:

   17h00 - 18h00 Thursday San Francisco
   20h00 - 21h00 Thursday Washington
   01h00 - 02h00 Friday London
   08h00 - 09h00 Friday Singapore

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=2&month=7&year=2004&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

STANDING INFORMATION FOR UBL CONFERENCE CALLS
U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8145
Int. access/caller paid number: (865)524-6352
Access code: 5705229

Charter:

   1. To create UBL schemas from models created by the UBL TC
      and continue to evaluate tools for this process.
   2. To promote a forum for the sharing of UBL implementation experience,
      for feedback to UBL TC and implementors.
   3. To document wish list requirements for UBL software based on
      UBL user/implementor and UBL TC needs.
   4. To develop FAQ (questions/answers from users, troubleshooting).
   5. To document basic information on using vanilla UBL.
   6. To actively represent UBL goals to software implementors.
   7. To maintain UBL tools information on a designated web site.
   8. To document UBL use (type of users, types of use, case studies,
      user input on best practices, etc.).

Agenda:

1. Welcome from Chair, Roll/Membership, Minutes, Agenda

   Coordinating Atlantic and Pacific call discussions.

2. Review open AIs

3. Marketing effort

4. ubl-dev discussions

5. Implementations

6. Tools

7. Other business

   - Chair for today's Pacific call

The UBL Software Subcommittee met on 24/25 June 2004

The Atlantic call was held at 16H00 - 17H00 UTC :
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=18&month=6&year=2004&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

and the Pacific call was held at 00h00 - 1h00 UTC:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=25&month=6&year=2004&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

[...]

   20040610-03: Stephen check NDRs to see how they may relate to minor and major
                release changes.
	        In progress.
   20040610-06: Anne respond to Stephen's email on definitions from Reusable.
	        In progress.
   20040610-08: Ray send out initial thoughts on goals for a UBL marketing activity.
	        In progress.
   20040610-10: Sylvia look into liaison with TaxML.
   20040610-11: Anne ask Jon and Mark for liaison or contact via email with E-Gov TC.
   20040610-12: Anne begin this converstation through Jon with Danish UBL implementors.

3. Marketing effort

   We can put together a basic generic value proposition and then expand.
   The more exciting applied stuff will need the participation of those
   with more experience.  Can do the value propposition, but are still
   far away from educating people about ubl - need contacts, etc.
   Have to do value-proposition first.

   Stephen's small business profile is generating a lot of interest -
   finance system developers, and others.  If we need more people with
   key skills, may well be in the process of getting them.  As UBL grows,
   to make this international, need people that can materialize this.

   Stephen: correct about bringing down barriers to adoption through
   this simpler version.  Sylvia: for small businesses, but in talking
   to US gov agencies, have different set of issues (NIST, etc).
   biggest recurring issue is that UBL only has a limited set of messages.

   Need clear plan for how this will be expanded - is there a plan to get
   together to define next set of messages?

   Oriol is working on mappings to EDI.

   EIDX is also working on a similar cross-reference project and
   UBL is one of the standards on that list.  EIDX or another similar
   standards group will be more appealing to a larger organization
   than an individual doing a smaller project.
   Therefore we need to create a framework wihtin UBL eg. ubl light,
   handheld, etc.  But people want some commercial benefit from it
   - not just contributing to competitors knowledge.  We need an ROI
   that is beyond informational.

   UBL doesn't have the resources to tackle a full-fledged effort like
   this.  We can start here, though, gathering information, making
   informal talks,

   We should also tap into the implementations we're starting to hear
   much more about.  We need an overall strategy for incubation.
   There is more to be done.  we should also be looking at what ubl
   lacks, and then coml and coo which identifies compeltely new document
   types unconsidered before

   We need companies like sun to engage partners for implementation.
   we also need an interop framework that governments are doing;
   need something for procurement

   Stephen: it's about governence; it's not what they gain, it's what
   they don't lose.  But that is difficult to describe and articulate
   to poeple.

   Ray will send out a generic value proposition as start.  But we
   need to document the direct benefits.

   We need to define our scope and then set expectations of what's
   not in our scope:

   We can begin working on case studies:
    - OO
    - Danish gov portal
    - EGIF
    - Pisces / OSCRE
    - Autralian grain organization
    - Spanish implementation
    - impaq
    - hong kong cecid
      (guidelines for egvo benefitted by using ubl knwledge
      to write a spec for gov for documents/forms)
    - swedish local gov
    - hitachi
    - UK gov

  UBL has only just appeared - you can't expect impelemntations yet.
  But there are alternatives that fill the stop-gap.  There has to
  be more than the actual benefit, but has to also cover the cost of change.

  Many companies/organizations are going from ws to b2b.  We should
  attempt to get more information on this, but we'll need specifics
  - how this can help businesses and other organizatios transform
  their buiness interactions.

  AI: Anne send email to ubl-dev asking for case studies

4. ubl-dev discussions

5. Implementations

   Hitachi is looking to see who else is doing what they're doing.
   NIST is looking at working with all major XML standards, including
   UBL.  We can be proactive in getting people started.  Sylvia could
   liaise with OAG and Anne will track down information on Sun's
   implementation.  Stephen is developing material for XML Summer School
   on this topic: business reasons for implementing a complex full-blown
   ws solution, rather than a simple solution, using ebxml and ubl.

   Anne contact Monica about other work in this  area.
   Sylvia will investigate her contacts to find out if there are other
   implementations that can be shared with the Hitachi group.

   Want to know how profiles can be created that combine xbrl, ubl,
   in a web services enrivonment.

   There is an opportunity to start early.  Pilots give people commercial
   advantage by giving them information that others don't have.  However,
   it's not trivial to provide something the will help increas a company's
   bottom line with out knowing a lot about the busines.

6. Tools

   GEFEG saw the benefit of adding UBL to our the prpoduct.
   There are currently some opportunities in the power market
   and they are trying to figure out if it's worth the cost.
   The main set of issues that drive a decision to invest in
   this type of technology are 'what is rest of my industry doing',
   what are my 'trading paterners doing'.

   The outdoor power market, for instance is going through a deicsion
   of whether to adopt specific standards rather than creating their own.
   They are asking the same question: what are my trading paterners doing,
   and other business issues that drive decisions.  If you have a means
   of communiating with neighbor, but don't knock on their door, there's
   no reason to have the capability.

[...]

   We will report in each call the discussions of the previous call.

2. Review open AIs

   None.

3. Marketing effort

   We are documenting case studies that show the value proposition of UBL.
   This is our main piece of work, alongside compiling a UBL FAQ.
   Ray Seddigh is producing a proper value proposition for UBL as the
   beginning of the marketing effort to encourage large organizations
   to give proper reviews to UBL when they may have difficulty justifying
   the cost of doing so.

   We are documenting what it is about UBL that will benefit large
   corporations in various sectors - big 4 accounting, manufacturing,
   then smaller businesses that would be linked in the supply chain,
   and how software industries and others can fit into the equation.

   We spent some time in the meeting discussion all known uses of ULB,
   whether small pilot projects or proper implementations.

4. ubl-dev discussions

   Anne send Takagi-san the link to the ubl-dev alias.

5. Implementations

   We discussed the Hitachi presentation a bit more.
   We will try to identify other WS/JAXB implementations and
   Takagi-san will look into joining ubl-dev.

6. Other business

   - Chair for today's Pacific call

   - JPLSC is translating ubl specifications.
     Will be reviewing them next week.