ubl-ssc message

Subject: SSC Agenda, 21 October 2004

Hi,

Agenda for the meeting tomorrow is below.  I've compiled the questions
that had been identified for a faq and added a few from ubl-comment
(attached).  Some of the answers are quite long and i haven't tried to
trim yet (so many I just pointed to on the oasis list server), but I
think we can begin to think about categories.  For instance, there are
definitely ndr, cm, tools, code list, library design (of the BIEs and
documents), clarification of terms and defnitions, and clarification of
use.  So perhaps we can come to some agreement on how to organize and
then take a look at the answers and decide what we'd like to see as
output.  The last set of questions I have a couple of answers to that
are not online (at least I couldn't find them on line) so we can review
those then.  I still need to pick through ubl-dev and ubl to see what
else is there (there's still quite a bit we can find on ubl-dev, I believe).

Anything else you have just bring to the meeting.

-Anne

[Attached are minutes from last week as well as the current faq document.'

The UBL Software Subcommittee will meet on 21 October 2004

The Atlantic call will occur at 16H00 - 17H00 UTC :

 09h00 - 10h00 Thursday San Francisco
 12h00 - 13h00 Thursday Washington
 17h00 - 18h00 Thursday London
 Midnight - 1:00 Friday Singapore

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=21&month=10&year=2004&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

and the Pacific call will occur at 00h00 - 1h00 UTC:

 17h00 - 18h00 Thursday San Francisco
 20h00 - 21h00 Thursday Washington
 01h00 - 02h00 Friday London
 08h00 - 09h00 Friday Singapore

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=21&month=10&year=2004&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

STANDING INFORMATION FOR UBL CONFERENCE CALLS
U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8145
Int. access/caller paid number: (865)524-6352
Access code: 5705229

Agenda:

1. Code List paper comments

3. Reports from other (sub)committees

4. Other business

faq_20041020.sxw

The UBL Software Subcommittee met on 14 October 2004.

STANDING INFORMATION FOR UBL CONFERENCE CALLS
U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8145
Int. access/caller paid number: (865)524-6352
Access code: 5705229

Agenda:

Present (Atlantic call): Anne, Tony, Syliva.

1. UBL development process and EF proposal

   - review/feedback on TC discussion (cl, etc)
   - updates to UBL dev process per feedback
   - what can be done between now and when decision is made

   AIs for f2f:
   - alignment excercise
   - ndrs

   Sylvia will lok into how we can do ss diffs.
   Anne will look at NDRs.

   - we will not be using the tbg17 templates

   Anne follow up.

3. Other business

   Code Lists:

      Not as accessible as would be nice - some are private.
      Each party who needs them purchases them, then licenses
      to put them into a tool such as EF.  Customers configure
      the tool themselves to handle the code lists they have purchased.
      It's also possible to point to a file or db, so one could purchase
      a code list in soft copy and point a tool to the location on line.

      We had originally envisioned schema fragments begin available for
      free on the web sites of the organizations that maintained them.
      But this would work around revenue benefit for owners.  Access is
      free to members but not to nonmembers;  It would be great to provide
      access to all, but funding the maintenance is the issue.  All
      companies are not members of an association that maintain such
      code lists (eg. collsion industry, or ACORD - companies need to
      use ACORD  code lists even if they are not members of the organizatio
      that maintains them.  Another example would be the code lists
      maintained by Rosettanet - not all industry companies are members
      of RN, but they need to have access to use their code lists.

      AI: Everyone read tony's paper and give feedback.
      Tony will also update with feedback from FPML.

   F2F:
      Jon is still finalizing the schedule.  There will most likely
      be a morning plenary and then a separate APAC recap in afternoon
      (4pm or after).  Tim and Stephen are not attending in person but
      would like to dial in.

   EF familiarity session:

      Sylvia will hold an EF TOI at the F2F.  It could be a tutorial,
      with slides covering a more general level of information, rather
      than an actual demo covering details.  Or could have both.
      But we need to decide so that GEFEG can plan on licensing,
      training, and an overview, at least.  A demo would be good.

   Transformation formats:

      There was only one response to Sylvia's quesry about transformation
      format.  It could be that either people haven't reached this stage
      of sophistication in their implementations, or that they have already
      a solution that suffices for their needs.  People will initially be
      interested in dbl or other format that allows them to store their
      data - either legacy system, or new systems.  A common format would
      be advantageous, but right now there is not enough cricial mass.
      We assume that in the short term, people will want schemas and
      suitable docs.  As time goes by we will see people try to compile
      schemas into code and then the data model will be less tied to the
      current formats.