ubl-ttsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Use cases (UBL compliance)

One of this perspectives to bear in mind when starting this discussion
is the overall UBL architecture.  This is alluded to in the use cases
below, but we should be more specific in our  descriptions and more
consistent in our terminology (we use words like Party for 'Entity'.
 Entity is a BIE.)
I include my thoughts in the text below
PS
sorry Jon I am including your email personally  as i dont know if you
are on the TTSC list.

jon.bosak@sun.com wrote:

>Hello UBL TC,
>

>Anyone who wishes to participate in the current analytical
>exercise should contact Anne Hendry regarding TTSC meetings.  But
>please bear in mind that the TTSC is not chartered to make any
>decisions in this area.  Important as it is, the document below
>should be considered a preliminary input to a much larger
>discussion.
>
>Jon
>

>I. UBL User scenarios
>
>We began with a few simple questions based on the idea that if we
>are to develop and/or document the use of tools for developers of
>UBL 1.0, we must be able to say with certainy that the output of
>the tool is UBL compliant.  But there is no comprehensive
>definition of UBL compliance.  For tools, a lack of definition
>here is a showstopper.

i am not sure why this is a show stopper in terms of identifying tools
and/or designing them.  certainly it stops anyone claiming a
UBL-compliant tool, but are we there yet?

>It was decided to begin an analysis of some known use case
>scenarios with an eye towards the question of compliance - what
>types of compliance are indicated by typical use cases - then sort
>into common use case models.  This must start with what people
>want to do in business.  From there we discussed the need to
>identify compliance 'levels' based on these use cases.

i am attaching three slides i use in my UBL presentations.  these
identify 3 use cases (similar to those below) and then relate them back
to the UBL architecture.  That is, we need three levels of compliance...
syntax level, schema level and semantic level.  these can be combined or
separate.

The use cases you describe seem to overlap with our architecture and i
personally find this confusing.

use case number 1.  - (no customization).  this needs clearer
definition.  it assumes we know what a standard document is.  what does
this mean in terms of UBL code sets?  only the standard codes are used?
 if any party opts for additional code sets (and they almost definitely
will) what does this mean for 'standard' documents?  Also, be careful
about analogies with EDI - the scenario you decribe is exactly the same
justification as was claimed by EDI standard bodies.
In general terms, this use case is claiming syntax, schema and semantic
level interoperability.

use case number 2. (UBL compliant schemas) - is schema interoperability
(see slides).  this is the thing that the CM subcommittee are defining.

use case number 3. (UBL label compliance) -  combines semantic and
syntax interoperability.  Schematic interoperability (re-assembling UBL
ABIEs) is not a constraint as they will want to invent their own.  But
how does this scenario decription allow for semantic interoperability?
 By definition two separate 'trade and transport' domains cannot both
grow UBL into the same context?  The only way we can hope for that is to
have a universal conceptual model - where each BIE is defined once and
once only. Even if a diverse domain (maybe the Vision Council) attempted
to customize their own UBL, they could not do so without being aware of
all other UBL customizations or else they could duplicate defintions.
Ultimately someone (and it could be either the CEFACT TBG17 group or the
UBL TC) must own the semantic model for UBL.

use case number 4. (subset UBL) - this is syntax interoperability. i am
not sure i understand how you can say 'no new BIEs'?  do you mean they
develop their own BIEs in their own namespaces and dont tinker with UBL
ones?  i also suggest this is not rare at all.  from the description i
think this one means 'complies to UBL NDR'.  Isn't this what RossettaNet
and the US government projects are planning?

use case number 5. (interoperability with UBL) - this is semantic,
schematic and syntax interoperability for only the UBL BIEs used.  In
that sense isn't it a variant of use case 1.  - instead of using whole
documents, they use only parts?

use case number 6. - (localization), is a furphy.  the localization
committees are not interested in translating XML tags (or any other part
of the XML componentry).  These are machine-processable labels, language
is irrelevant.  What they do want to translate is the documentation.
 Localization is in fact and example of use case 3.

>II. A mechanism for instance-based compliance validation
>
>What is described below is a work-in-progress.  It is a mechanism
>for validating UBL at the instance level that appears to fulfill
>the requirements posed by the above scenarios for the use of UBL
>1.0.

this appears to overlap with the Context Methodology in its schematic
compliance.  I am not sure it considers semantics or syntax at all.

for example, if the RN fragment below was...

<RN:MyAddressType>
       <Reusable:AddressType>
         .. atomic content structure ..
       </Reusable:AddressType>
       <RN:House>
         <RN:HouseNumber> ... </RN:HouseNumber>
         <RN:HouseName> ... </RN:HouseName>
       </RN:House>
       <RN:SubZipCode>
         <RN:MainPart> ... </RN:MainPart>
         <RN:SubPart> ... </RN:SubPart>
       </RN:SubZipCode>

    </RN:MyAddressType>

 - where would an implementor put the number within the street of the
address.  UBL has BuildingNumber and BuildingName in its AddressType but
Rn has HouseNumber and HouseName???.  This may seem trite but this is
actually the real problem with business vocabularies - aligning the
semantics.  The schematics are mechanics and the syntax  is just agreed
sets of NDRs.

>III. Miscellaneous
>
>    - Need distinction between evolution, extension, addition, ...
>      what kinds of things can these concepts apply to?  what
>      things can you extend?  library, ndr, schema ?

i agree this is the big issue Jon mentioned in his email to the TC.
 obviously it is not a TTSC issue.

>   Initial questions raised:
>
>      "What does it mean to be UBL compliant?"
>
>      "Does UBL compliance equate to CCTS compliance?"

of course not, UBL is compliant to CCTS but you can implement and comply
to part of UBL without using CCTS (e.g. use the schematics)

>      "What is the difference between contextualization and
>      customization?"

UBL has decided that context is used to define the schematic difference
from one schema to another.  we are using customization to cover all
forms of changes to UBL (sematics and syntax) - i prefer this to
'context philosophy'.

Developing a Customization Methodology is a deliverable of the LCSC charter.

>      "Where is the use case analysis of context and
>      customization?"

CM has use cases that may answer this.

>      "How much can a user change in the UBL schemas and still be
>      'UBL compliant'?"
>
>      "How do we ensure compatibility / interoperability of UBL
>      schemas?"
>
>      "How to implement customization and contextualization and
>      still keep compliance between releases?"

all of these are good questions.  we must also bear in mind that
implementors will choose the level of compliance and its inherant
interoperability potential based on their own requirements.  we cannot
and should not enforce compliance with tools - but we should verify it.

>      "To what degree should a tool allow relaxing of NDR rules?"

i think this is a case of what i meant by 'we cannot and should not
enforce compliance with tools - but we should verify it.'