ubl-ttsc message

Subject: FYI: UBL conformance discussion [RE: [ubl-ndrsc] NDR Review - Section7.7]

  Hi,

Sorry if some of you are already on ndrsc, but I wanted those that are
not to know about
this discussion stemming from an original query from the ubl-dev list
regarding the rule against
use of xsd:choice, which I forwarded to ndr, and has evolved in ndr to
include some of the
topics around conformance which we have been discussing... in case
anyone cares to follow.

-A

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] NDR Review - Section 7.7
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:25:22 -0500
From: Grimley Michael J NPRI <GrimleyMJ@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil>
To: "UBL-NDRSC (E-mail)" <ubl-ndrsc@lists.oasis-open.org>

Greetings,

The Address ABIE contains a sequence including Region and District optional elements. Both of these indicate a BusinessTerm of 'LocalityName'. I would think that it is at least possible that a customizer may want to allow one or the other to appear, but not both.

This also brings up the issue I raised at the last call concerning UBL conformant Schemas vs. UBL conformant instances. If a customizer decides to use the Choice construct (as in the example above) in their Schema, and it is the only customization in their Schema, every instance of that Schema *will* validate against the normative UBL Schema. What do we gain from referring to that Schema as 'Nonconformant'? What should we call schemas that only 'produce' UBL conformant instances, even if the schema itself is not?

Mike Grimley