ubl message

Subject: [ubl] Re: [ebxml-dev] Re: [ubl-lcsc] Re: [ubl-ndrsc] UN/CEFACT ATG'Generic Header' Project

its a good $0.02c, i'll give you a $AUS 1.00 for it because it identifies some confusions that exist here.

- "the time the message was created" (whether in ebMS or their equivalents in EDIFACT UNB/UNG/UNH-UNT/UNE/UNZ) is the time the MSI on the sender party's application created the envelope, not the time the application created the business document (this would be the OrderCreationDate or somesuch).  they are not the same and the former should not be assumed related to the latter.  why would a business application want to know the scheduling of a messaging interface.  it is like asking the  accounts receivable clerk if they need to know the time the customer put the order in the envelope. Remember -this is not the transport enevelope (e.g. SMTP or HTTP header) so it doesn't even tell us the actual times of transmission.

- "the message identity" would be the equivalent to the serial number on page from the Order pad the order was written from. it is not the identifier of the business transaction, which would be "OrderID" or some equivalent.  The two are not related concepts and should not be assumed related.  We need to keep them semantically separate.

The goal is to ensure the business document carries all the information necessary to allow the business application to do its job - we dont want to rely on options 1. or 2..

There are BIEs that are common to many documents - things like identifier and timestamp, but these already exist (or should exist) in the document definitions.  These are (i suspect) the 'generic header' material being considered here.  To return to the earlier analogy, if the accounts receivable clerk needs to know the actual time the document was sent/received then the document definitions should contain a BIE for it, as part of the document itself. We should not be recreating them at yet another layer of protocol.

Burdett, David wrote:
As counter thought (I would not put this as strong as an opinion), there is
one use case for having a generic header.

If, for example, you take using UBL with ebXML MS, then there is information
in the ebXML MS header that "might" be useful to the process that is
handling the UBL document, for example the time the message was created, or
its identity.

I would guess that most implementations separate the ebXML MS envelope from
the UBL document, therefore there is a risk of this information being lost.
There are a number of ways around this, including:
1. Copying the information from the ebXML MS header into a "generic header"
within the UBL document - this should be optional, if done at all.
2. Providing an API to the ebXML MS implementation that allows an
application to derive this information.

Just my $0.02c.

David