ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] Global vs. Local -- Gunther's Recommendation

I'll jump in here as well and agree with Eve and Mark. I'm new to this
process, but it seems to me we should be making "proper" XML. Technology
changes and next week UML might not be the way to model things and FOO is
the latest methodology, would we change the design/process to then be more
conformant with that methodology? Why shouldn't we choose ER diagrams as
the better modeling environment and make our XML look like tables?

I have some trouble with the idea of trying to force XML into tools/methods
that aren't designed to be used with it or for it. There are things in
UML/OO that I can do that I can't in XML, and likewise things and methods
in XML that don't map well to UML/OO.

Until someone comes up with a truly universal modeling language that can
handle OO, relational databases, XML, etc. without "forcing the process or
method" I don't see how you can choose something that doesn't work
completely with the target implementation and say it should conform to the
other. Maybe OO languages will morph to something that better fits the XML
world in the near future.

This is another opinion from a non--OO comfortable developer.

..dan