ubl message

Subject: UBL TC 2004 meeting schedule

UBL members,

At its meeting 5 November 2003 in San Francisco, the UBL Liaison
Subcommittee recommended the following TC meeting schedule for
calendar year 2004:

   23-27 Feb 2004 hosted by LMI in Washington, D.C.

   10-14 May 2004 hosted by CECID (HKU) in Hong Kong

   16-20 August 2004 hosted by the Danish Bankers Association in
         Copenhagen

   1-5 November 2004 hosted by Sun Microsystems in San Francisco

This schedule was discussed and approved by TC members present in
the closing plenary of the San Francisco meeting 7 November.  I am
now putting this schedule before you for approval.

If you have no objection to adopting this TC meeting schedule for
2004, do nothing.  If you are a voting member and you object to
the adoption of this schedule, please register that objection with
mail to the list ubl@lists.oasis-open.org no later than COB 17
November 2003.

If you have been following this item closely and are wondering
what happened to the "charter revision" I thought necessary for
approval of this item, continue below for more.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC

Explanation for those who attend closely to our process: I have
been operating for quite a long time now on the assumption that we
hardwired into our TC charter a requirement to hold two meetings a
year on the west coast of the U.S., one meeting a year on the east
coast of the U.S., and one meeting a year in Europe.  After
rooting around in ancient email for a bit, I've come to the
conclusion that somewhere along the way I mistakenly conflated two
items relating to scheduling into a "rule" that we never actually
adopted.

Under current OASIS TC process, every OASIS TC is required to
announce its intended meeting schedule in the initial call for
participants.  Pursuant to this requirement, the UBL TC call for
participation sent by Karl Best 12 September 2001 (which was, I
believe, the first ever sent under the current process) contained
the following:

   It is the intention of the sponsors of the TC to adopt a
   meeting schedule that will maximize contact between the persons
   engaged in the UBL work, business experts engaged in the work
   of UN/CEFACT and ANSI ASC X12 core components discovery and
   analysis, and persons engaged in the work of other
   organizations attempting to define standard XML business
   grammars.

   Prospective participants in the UBL TC should be ready to
   commit to a schedule calling for as many as four meetings
   annually in North America and as many as two meetings annually
   in Europe or Asia.

A little later, at our first meeting as an OASIS TC, we adopted
(1 November 2001) the following resolution:

   8. That the current chair of the TC shall attempt to create a
      meeting plan for the coming year and submit this plan to the
      TC for approval in email, using (if practical) software
      available on the web for scheduling meetings and taking
      this rough outline as a basis for further negotiation:

         Jan/Feb 2002   U.S. West Coast
         Apr/May 2002   Europe (perhaps with XML Europe 2002)
         Jul/Aug 2002   U.S. West Coast
         Sep/Oct 2002   U.S. East Coast

Here we see the pattern that I (and, I think, several other
people) later took as set in stone, but I can't find any place
where we actually adopted it as a standing rule.  I suspect that
this is what we thought we were doing, but I can't find where we
did.  The language in the original call for participants clearly
allows us to schedule meetings in Asia, so unless someone turns up
a resolution to the contrary, no rules change appears to be
required in order to adopt the schedule recommended above.

Jon