ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] CL schema and sdts [was Re: [ubl] Re: Outcomes of coordinationcall 10 March 2004]

Hi,

I agree with and wanted to expand on a couple of Tim's points.  We just
had a long discussion on this that spanned two subcommittee calls (Tim
wasn't present), and the concensus there was also this:

- The only reason we have a cl udt file is because it was needed as a
workaround to a problem that developed because of the way the original
cct xsd from Gunther and Garret was constructed, and it was put there by
Chee-Kai and Stephen to work around the problems caused by that original
xsd file(s).   But the source of that problem has been fixed so the
cludt  file is no longer needed.  In addition, the cludt holds only a
single instance of a vanilla  code list datatype which is based on the
cct code list datatype (basically a repeat in a different namespace).
 In reality this code list udt is no different than any of the other
unspecialized data types in the other udt, and separating it from the
other udts may cause more confusion than clarity.  There may be one
other reason it was considered to still be needed to be seprated from
the other udt's - to resolve the possibility of a circular reference -
but the only occasion this circular reference may be an issue, I've been
told, is if someone was to want to use xsd validation on a code type
that is contained within a supplementary component within one of the sdt
or udt data type supp components.  Right now UBL doesn't do this nor
need to do this.  It would be straight forward for the CLSM to be based
on the CCT xsd directly, even, and Stephen has tested out the
feasibility of doing this and, as Tim mentioned, found it to work - the
instance validated.  (Even that physical dependency on cct may not need
to be manifest over time since cct is a conceptual model -  we already
leave out the more basic origins of the CCT intradependencies, so it's
just a matter of where you want to draw the line betwen conceptual and
physical).

- In terms of ccts conformance, I also don't see where ccts says
anything about what we're discussing.  Mark, can you be more explicit?
Obviously the claim that this is unimplementable has been proven wrong
by Stephen's excercise, though.

- In terms of the clsm, the only reason I have garnered for even having
the clsm is to allow for the creation of an xsd file for each code list,
and to allow others to plug and play these lists.  However, part of the
discussion recently determined that we don't want pluggability for
things we deem to be set in concrete for UBL, which has raised the
question of whether we should move the truly standard (internal standard
- created/owned by UBL) codes into the sdt and only leave the ones that
are 'external' standard (provided by UBL but owned in the end by others
and replacable) as clsms.  Because, if there are some codes we want to
be truly UBL standard, we really *don't* want that pluggability, even at
the schema level, we are not achieving that by having them as clsms.
 There are only possibly 4 codes we are currently specifying that would
want this pluggability (substituting other schemas for the ones we have
as clsms).  They are country, currency, channelcode and
paymentmeanstypecode.  All the others are very UBL specific and we
wouldn't ever want anyone to change them anyway without using a UBL
release that specifically updated them as we have defined total
ownership of them.  This is another question that probably can wait for
discussion for the next release, but it is something we should clarify
sooner than later.

For this release we just need to be careful that we are not specifying
as 'standard' (required) something that we really don't need to have
required, and are not leaving the door open to pluggabilty for something
we don't want to be pluggable.  Not all codes are created equal.  As Tim
noted, some of these codes are not really codes - they are
enumerations.   Has anyone reviewed the 13 listed codes to make sure we
still all agree these are absolutely necessary to be specified by UBL
(as opposed to allowing them to be placebo and be detemined by partners
outside our purview) or as opposed to having them in the sdt and
therefore circumventing any pluggability?  They are (# of elements in
parens):

chipcode (2), substitutionstatuscode (2), channelcode (40),
linestatuscode (5),
longitudedirectioncode (2), latitudedirectioncode (2), paymentmeanscode
(50),
documentstatuscode (4), operatorcode (2), aknowledgementresponsecode (2),
allowancechargecode (50), countryidentificationcode (300+), currencycode
(200+).

All other codes used in UBL are totally open for substitution (w/o
validation).

-Anne