Subject: RE: [ubl] A Prototype Schema for UBL Models
I did one of those for UBL about 16 months ago. See the attached (and perhaps oddly named) UMLModel.xsd.
At that time, I used to load the UBL model (spreadsheet) into Excel (the new version -- that outputs XML) and then I'd save it as XML. I used the attached stylesheets to convert from Excel's proprietary vocabulary into the "UMLModel" one by running them in this order:
fatten-excel -> spreadsheet-to-UML-model-no-asoc -> resolve-association-ends -> define-associations
normalize-identifier is a utility called from the other transforms.
The value I saw of this over XMI was that the vocabulary was more tailored to the modeling language we'd chosen for UBL -- so there was a tighter fit. Also, the vocab is considerably smaller (though less well documented :) than XMI so it was presumably easier to learn.
I've got some additional pipelines that fit on the end of this one to generate pictures of UBL too. Well, _old_ UBL.