ubl message

Subject: UBL TC Atlantic Call Minutes June 16 2004

Dear all
please find below a copy of the Minutes of the Atlantic call for the
UBL TC.
Next week's call will take place at the same time and on the same
number.

The Atlantic call will be held every week at a time corresponding to 8
a.m. Wednesday in San
Francisco and 4 p.m. Wednesday in London, is scheduled for the
convenience of members in the eastern U.S. and Europe.

     STANDING INFORMATION FOR UBL CONFERENCE CALLS
     U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8145
     Int. access/caller paid number: (865)524-6352
     Access code: 5705229
1. Roll call and welcome by Mavis the Moderator
Mavis Cournane
Fabio Arciniegas
Jon Bosak
Bill Meadows
Tony Coates
Marion Royal
Sylvia Webb
Michael Dill
Anne Hendry
Eduardo Gutentag
Peter Yim
Oriol Ausa
Monica Martin

Regrets
Stephen Green

STANDING ITEMS

Note bookmark change from "issues.xls" to "worklist.xls".

Note that there is no Pacific TC call this week.

{Continuing:6} Calendar review
JB: XML 2004 meeting in DC my UBL presentation has been
accepted. People should think about submitting Late Breaking News on
any upcoming UBL projects.
Fabio has XMLRof.

{Continuing:7} Event reports
Michael Dill has joined the WCO World Customs Organization. They have 2
groups one business and one modeling.
Michael will be presenting how CCTS works. There is a chance they will
adopt specific NDR rules and they will not consider this right now.
JB: Should we consider pointing Michael as a Liaison to that group?
MD: I am monitoring this. We should reach a decision this in Sept.

{Continuing:10} Liaison reports
                 JB: Ken and Thomas appointed as liaisons
                 JB: Report on call with chair of Tax XML TC
JB: Ken is approved as liaison as SC34 and Thomas Lee as ebXML Asia
Liaison.
I had a conversation last week with the chair of the Tax XML TC
Harm-Jan Van Burg.
Its members represent the tax admin of NL, Germany, US, Canada. They
are formed from the OECD consisting of 44 countries. That group reports
back to the OECD. They wanted closer contact a few months ago, but we
were busy with 1.0 so they held off. Their intent is to provide input
to UBL so that UBL will cover tax processes. They are taking a similar
position with XBRL. They see UBL interesting in terms of indirect
taxation, it comes into the tax process via the general ledger.
The appropriate information has to be in the trade documents to begin
with. UBL will need a couple of gluing elements to make sure we have
the info in our basic documents that is needed further up the food
chain. They are in a good position to provide this to us.
Their plan is to look at 1.0 and start an analysis of this from a tax
perspective. He will get back to Jon around the third week in June with
a liaison. Their next meeting is in Sept in London.

SUBCOMMITTEES

{Continuing:20} JB: Arrange for freeze of retired SCs
There is an item on the Work list for Code Lists. Line 28 in the
Continuing.
Tony will take the suggestion he made a few months ago, post it to the
TC, discuss it on UBL Dev.
After 1.0 review is out of the way, we will get to it.
We appoint tony and Marty to begin an offline discussion on it.
{Continuing:21} HISC
Fabio is appointed co-chair. A charter has been drawn up. Oriel has
also joined as a voting member. Tomorrow there will be a call.
Action Item: Jon to mail the chair recommending Fabio as co-chair
AH: There is question about how much we want to align with UNEDOCS.
Their template contains a place for digital signatures. In London from
Dave Burdetts request we considered the inclusion of these, and decided
against them. We need to decide by not having them, at what level do we
want to merge with UNEDOCs.

EG: My recollection was we were not having it for 1.0 but review it for
letter.
FA: This will be discussed tomorrow in the HISC call.
MD: I think it is time to move UNEDOCS alignment along.
JB: That relationship is being handled by contacts with Sue and Ken.
Action Item: JB to add this question to the worklist.

{Continuing:22} SSC
AH: We talked about how we wnat to go about developing 1.1 schemas
which we can discuss later.
For 1.0 there is not a specific date set yet for when we need the
schemas. We have to go through the issues first. We were wondering for
this SC where we have people for the outside developing products that
want to share their ideas, we talked about having some IP statement to
make people feel more comfortable, and make them realize that whatever
they say is open and has no encumbrances. Sylvia mentioned there is a
standard anti-trust statement used in many of the groups she is
participating in.
JB: I have an AI to put people on notice about the IP. As part of the
process of moving towards Oasis approval we need to do that. As part of
signing up to Oasis you are made aware of the IP policy.
AH: We discussed the need for a focussed marketing activity beginning
with the generation of some documentation that outline our line for
UBL.
JB: We have this in place for the last two years in terms of a white
paper. We probably have to come back to that.
Action Item: Jon to consider revision of materials.
AH: We are talking about targeting the big four, to encourage them to
put resources into implementation.
JB: The closest thing I found is an amazing paper from APEC (url
forwarded to the list by Thomas Lee
http://www.dfat.gov.au/publications/paperless/paperless_trading.pdf).
It is about paperless trade. There is also a list of the key documents
in that paper that they propose to make paperless. I would suggest at a
later date to the group that we make those documents our goal.
FA: I have been talking to people at the Embassies here about UBL. I
have written a number of paragraphs explaining what is UBL.
MHC: Can you post them to the list?
Action item: Fabio to make these available to the list.
AH: Ray is going to write out some thoughts on what we could do and
what the goals would be for some of that marketing collateral. there
was also the idea of spinning off a small team of TC members to address
this.

PRIORITY ITEMS FOR THIS MEETING

{UBL10:3} Public comment log
BM: I need to coordinate with Anne and have everything on one sheet.
The comment log is finished, and there were only 6.

{UBL10:4} Issues list
AH: That is being worked on.
JB: We won't review anything until the complete list is generated. The
12th was the last day for comments. I want you to upload that list to
the TC site.
Action item: Anne, Bill, Sylvia will coordinate and submit a final list
to the site for us to review. They will also take a first cut at
ordering.

{UBL10:5} Schema/spreadsheet alignment
JB: There were comments from Michael about how this was done.
MD: Has he compared all, or did he just list what he found. Did he work
systematically, if so I can do a double check.
AH: Stephen noted the things he thought were critical. Michael sent out
a zip file with three directories.
Action item: Mavis will ask Stephen for a concrete list of all
differences. If this is something he cannot produce for whatever
reason, could he provide it to Mavis for differencing.
We need Stephen's output and Michael's input for all the spreadsheet.

{UBL10:6} Issues review
JB: Suggest we begin 6/30
{UBL10:9} Input from Swedish Association of Local Authorities
\JB: We have this very substantial contribution and we have to figure
out if these are 1.0 or 1.1 things and we have to talk it through.
By reference this is part of the issues list. A pointer to it is
sufficient as it is well organized.

{UBL11:9} CCTS schemas: Walldorf ATG2 meeting
           ALL: Review paper from Tim:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/download.php/7206/
draft-mcgrath-UBLandCCTSschemas.pdf
The Ontology Forum is working on a Core Compenent Type Ontology and
that work was inspired by Tim's first comments on having to review the
CCTS Types. A draft will be published at the end of June for public
review. There are two major events, July 6th a workshop within in the
Protege Annual Conference (National Institute of Health), August panel
in Orlando EIDX conference.
JB: There is one implicit work item for Peter and that is to look at
UDEV.
Are we comfortable accepting this paper as an informational input to
Waldorf.
What is the impact to 1.1 of items listed under alignment with OAGIS.
The biggest issue is the naming of supplementary components. Our
convention for these is the NDR one for names. We are at risk if ATG
decides to do something different in terms of getting backwards
compatibility from 1.1 to 1.0. The impact of the rest of these is
unclear to me.
We are saying 1.1 will be backward compatible with 1.0, and we hope
what ATG produces out of Waldorf is smth we can use in 1.0. If ATG
adopts something different to us then we won't meet these objectives.
PY: Is the possibility of ATG coming up with something different slight?
JB: No we can't say that as we do not have much overlapping membership.
JB: The key issue will be the impact on backwards compatibility.
PY: 4 and 5 on page 8 of Tim's document will not impact this.
JB: So a release note for 1.0 we could say if the proposed change is
adopted this could affect 1.1 compatibility.
JB: What about item 3, the format rule.
Does this have any impact on instances or is it just relationships
between the schema modules and CCTS.
TC: 5 does have an incompatibility impact.
JB: We could warn people about using 1 and 0 because of future
compatibility issues.
Action item: Michael will look in to this and item 5 offline and let us
know.
JB: Can we accept the paper as informational input to the meeting.
Agreed to accept this as informational input and we may come up with
additional comments

ITEM ADDITIONS

Addition of new items to the issues list.
None

OTHER BUSINESS
None