ubl message

Subject: FW: Language codes as an UBL code list

A colleague working for the UK Government has created a list of the ISO 639-2 3-character language codes using the UBL codelist format.

I attach the result of his work, the questions he raised and my comments in case they are of interest. There is one place where the specification asks for a use case and this work can supply it.

Regards

Paul Spencer
Director
Boynings Consulting Ltd
http://www.boynings.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Spencer [mailto:paul.spencer@boynings.co.uk]
Sent: 19 July 2004 11:20
To: Colin Mackenzie
Subject: RE: Language codes as an UBL code list

Hi Colin,

1) Yes, it is allowed to have more than one CodeName per Code. It is shown in section 3.1 of the spec as "0..n".

2) I had wondered what you would do about Welsh! I agree that it causes problems if one language is in several times. 2.5.2 shows this as being for future implementation. Unfortunately, quite a few things were pushed out of this release to meet the timescales for UBL 1.0. My view for the moment is that we should just include "wel". After all, German is "ger", not "deu". You could leave "cym" in the document, but commented out.

3) Again, mapping between codelists is a future (section 2.5.11). Perhaps this is the use case they are looking for.

4) I guess for the moment, this is a UK GovTalk document, and so we should use that. It is then up to eGU to get someone else to take it on. They can then assign copyright.

5) Since we are following an external specification, this is not a problem.

6) No comment at the moment.

7) I seem to remember that the multi-lingual requirement was dropped. In general, the UN works in English. If others want to create code lists in other languages, they are welcome to do so. However, I would expect to at least be able to add an xml:lang attribute somewhere. Of course, what is really needed, is an internal reference to the correct 3 character language code ...

If you are happy, I will forward your work and my comments to the UBL TC list to see if they have any comments.

Regards

Paul