ubl message

Subject: Minutes of the UBL TC meeting in Copenhagen 16-20 August 2004

MINUTES OF THE UBL TC MEETING IN COPENHAGEN 16-20 AUGUST 2004

REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS

   All of these participants attended all of the plenary sessions
   Monday through Friday except as noted.  The TC was not quorate
   and operated under our standing rules as a committee of the
   whole.  This means that all of the decisions noted below must
   be approved by the TC.  If no objections are received by COB 3
   September 2004, these decisions will be taken as accepted by
   the TC.  If any voting member has an objection to any of these
   decisions, please signify by posting that objection to the TC
   list UNDER A NEW SUBJECT HEADING INDICATING THE ISSUE TO BE
   RESOLVED so that the discussion can be properly tracked.
   Please do not reply under the subject heading of this message.

      Anne Hendry
      Jon Bosak (chair)
      Mikkel Hippe Brun [1]
      Mavis Cournane [2]
      Mark Crawford (vice chair)
      Michael Dill
      Stephen Green
      Mike Grimley
      Eduardo Gutentag
      Tami Kamarudin [7]
      Dongsoo Kim [3]
      Sun Hyuk Kim
      Sunho Kim [2]
      Stig Korsgaard
      David Kruppke
      Monica Martin [8]
      Tim McGrath [5]
      Sue Probert
      Marion Royal
      Yukinori Saito
      Shin Takagi [4]
      Paul Thorpe
      Sylvia Webb [6]
      Catherine Williams [2]

      [1] Absent Tuesday
      [2] Absent Friday
      [3] Absent Wednesday through Friday
      [4] Absent Monday
      [5] By phone Tuesday through Friday
      [6] By phone Wednesday
      [7] By phone Tuesday
      [8] By phone one day (did not record which)

PLENARY SESSION MONDAY 16 AUGUST

   The TC heard reports from the JPLSC and the KRLSC; these will
   be uploaded to the TC document repository.

   The chair shared the results of a recent authoritative
   proprietary survey of North American IT executives showing that
   30 percent of the 300 large and medium-sized companies surveyed
   had already implemented some form of UBL and that 16 percent of
   the companies surveyed intended to begin using UBL within the
   next 12 months.  Since at the time of the survey (April 2004)
   UBL 1.0 CD had not even been released yet, and since there are
   as yet no known sources of technical support for UBL, the
   survey results support the theory that UBL is a viral
   technology like HTML.  It was also noted that the
   U.S. Department of the Navy has recently announced its
   intention to use UBL, providing further evidence that we have
   been correct in assuming that UBL would prove attractive to
   government agencies as well as corporations in the private
   sector.  The chair therefore intends to de-emphasize his UBL
   marketing activities to focus instead on moving UBL 1.0 through
   the OASIS standardization process and establishing working
   relationships with relevant standards bodies for the
   development of UBL 1.1.

   It was noted that the namespace URN proposal previously
   advanced in email had received no negative comments from voting
   members of the TC and could therefore be considered as adopted.

   Following the plenary session, the TC broke into separate work
   groups that continued throughout the week to work on CD2
   packaging, NDR document completion, and localization review.

PLENARY SESSION TUESDAY 17 AUGUST

   In this session, the TC discussed our document targets and
   other objectives for the future.  Outcomes:

    - We note the importance of aligning both with UN/CEFACT TBG
      groups and also with the UNTDED.

    - It is our general intention to create XML versions of the
      data models provided by UNeDocs and the APEC initiative.

    - We agree that new BIEs should be the ones provided by these
      other initiatives.

    - We recognize the need to review the universal information
      model being developed by UNeDocs and to perform a gap
      analysis against the UBL data models.

    - We approve the current 1.1 items on the work list as
      objectives for 1.1 and intend to begin working on them as
      soon as we are finished with 1.0 CD2.  Specifically, we note
      that dealing with party types will help align with UNTDED;
      that the Certificate of Origin submission is a good example
      of an extension of UBL that is TDED-compliant and aligned
      with UNeDocs; and that adding Certificate of Origin to the
      document set will serve as a proof of concept and a model
      for how this kind of work can proceed in the future.

    - With regard to added functionalities such as digital
      signatures, we will prioritize these on a case-by-case basis
      rather than attempting to establish some general rule.  With
      regard to digital signatures, we note that the actual
      requirement is "authentication."

   During lunch we heard presentations from OSCRE regarding its
   extension methodology and from Toshiba regarding its WS-based
   implementation of UBL.  These presentations will be uploaded to
   the document repository when the chair returns from vacation
   the week of 6 September.

   The discussion of customization and context methodology
   previously scheduled for the afternoon was omitted to make time
   for work on CD2 and the NDR document.

   An evening reception for the UBL TC and the Danish eBusiness
   Working Group was hosted by Jørgen Abild Andersen,
   Director-General of the Danish National IT and Telecom Agency.
   Mr. Andersen's remarks on this occasion were reported in mail
   to the TC 18 August.

PLENARY SESSION WEDNESDAY 18 AUGUST

   The Wednesday morning session was devoted to the discussion of
   a proposal from GEFEG to use EDIFIX as the repository of the
   UBL 1.1 data model and to generate both normative schemas and
   documentary spreadsheets from this data model.

   Mavis Cournane was tasked with producing a clear description of
   the proposal, and a team consisting of Sue Probert and Anne
   Hendry was tasked with the production of a workflow that could
   be employed under this proposal.

   With regard to the idea that we might develop a process of
   "preliminary acceptance" to allow implementors to begin the
   deployment of certain additions to UBL before the release of a
   new package, it was decided that requesters who care that
   deeply about new features should join the TC process.

   With regard to UBL ebXML registration, we note that we appear
   to be missing a few pieces needed for full registration, and
   also that the RIM spec for this is not completely done yet.

   After lunch, we discussed the review of ATG NDRs, including CCT
   and Unqualified Datatype modules.  The review period for
   comments back to ATG (via Jean Kubler, UN/CEFACT secretariat)
   closes 10 September, the week before the next UN/CEFACT
   meeting.

   Regarding most aspects of the ATG NDRs, comments (if any)
   should by sent by individuals, but the differences between the
   CC modules proposed by ATG and the ones used in UBL 1.0 are
   great enough that we should develop a position on this as a
   group.  If the ATG versions of the CC modules are adopted as
   they stand now, problems with backwards compatibility (for
   example, possible differences in the allowed values for some
   attributes) will not allow us to adopt them until our next
   major release (2.0).  This problem was noted when the ATG
   results were reported to the TC.  See the report from the
   Thursday plenary below for more about this.

   With regard to the question raised on ubl-dev about mime types
   for UBL, it was determined that this is a messaging issue and
   therefore belongs to a different layer of the stack.

   As before, the afternoon was spent working on CD2 and the NDR
   document.

   Wednesday evening the TC enjoyed a spectacular dinner at the
   Tivoli Gardens courtesy of our host, Stig Korsgaard.  The TC
   honored its chair with the gift of an 1824 translation of Don
   Quixote, which he is now reading with very great pleasure.

PLENARY SESSION THURSDAY 19 AUGUST

   The Thursday plenary discussed relationships between UBL and
   other efforts.  Brief outcomes:

    - UN/CEFACT: We still want to set up liaison relationships
      with relevant UN/CEFACT WGs, and we want to make sure that
      we do nothing going forward that would prevent our eventual
      move into CEFACT.  We hope that the attendance of several
      UBL members at the UN/CEFACT Forum meeting in September will
      help to establish a closer working relationship with TBG
      groups.

    - ATG2 and CC schemas: Will be a main agenda item for the TC
      calls 1 and 2 September.  Tim McGrath will draft a response
      to ATG in time for discussion in these meetings.

    - TBG17 and the UBL library: TBG17 has received submissions
      for over 1000 data items, including the ones from UBL.  The
      group is nearing the end of the discovery phase and intends
      to sign off on a group of 21 core components at the CEFACT
      Forum meeting in September.  UNTDED alignment is being
      handled through ongoing meetings with ISO TC 154. After some
      discussion, it was decided that the UBL TC should modify its
      submission to TBG17 in a way that better aligns with the CCs
      and produces recommendations for the future work of
      TBG17. We will propose that the TC appoint a TBG17 Liaison
      Team led by Marion Royal and including Sue Probert, Tim
      McGrath, and additional volunteers from the former LCSC to
      align the UBL submission with the draft CCs and to propose
      additional candidate CCs where none yet exist that
      correspond to the UBL data elements.  The team will also
      examine other submissions to TBG17 with an eye toward
      further preharmonization. The team will meet by phone once a
      week at 8 a.m. Washington time (8 p.m.in Perth), the first
      meeting to take place 31 August.

    - UK Office of Government Commerce (OGC) and IDA eProcurement
      schemas: Discussions will begin in September regarding the
      formation of a team to work on these inputs.

    - UNeDocs, ISO TC154, and UNTDED: A mapping of UBL to UNTDED
      is considered to be highly desirable if resources can be
      found to do it.  However, it is not clear where such
      resources will come from.

    - TBG15 and COML: Sue Probert will discuss a liaison
      relationship with Gordon Cragge, chair of TBG15.

    - RosettaNet, EIDX/CompTIA, and RosettaNet/UBL mapping:
      Michael Dill reports that all of EDIFICE in Europe is
      changing from EDIFACT to RosettaNet, and in the process has
      found a lack of semantic interoperability between the two
      standards and is now looking at CC to provide a more generic
      approach.  The chair is instructed to give up on his efforts
      over the last year to find a group willing to perform a
      formal mapping between UBL and RosettaNet.

    - OAG: A CC group is being reinvigorated to aid in the
      transition of OAGIS to a CC-based approach.  Several TBG17
      members have been invited and will participate in this work,
      including Mark Crawford and Stig Korsgaard.  Michael Dill
      reports that OAGIS version 9 will use the CC types.

    - eAC: Tim notes that the ebXML Asia Committee submitted input
      to TBG17 and requests that the TBG17 Liaison Team look at
      this work.

    - Translations: Saito-san presented the current status of the
      translation work. The JPLSC and KRLSC have completed
      translations of the data definitions, and that work is now
      in review.  The ESLSC has reported translation of the
      spreadsheets into Spanish, but it is not clear whether this
      includes the creation of localized business terms.  We
      believe that the CNLSC is still in the process of revising
      the translation it created based on UBL 1.0 Beta.

    - Call schedule: The TC schedule for the next several weeks
      was reported in mail to the TC 20 August.

   After the traditional wine-and-cheese party at the close of the
   Thursday session, the SOD met and received a report from Mike
   Grimley concerning the recent travels of our mascot, Don.
   Unfortunately, Don himself could not attend, having become lost
   in transit, but he turned up Friday evening and was last seen
   heading to California in an attempt to arrive in time for the
   UBL TC meeting in November.

PLENARY SESSION FRIDAY 20 AUGUST

   The following items were discussed and resolved as noted:

    - EDIFIX proposal details: We will follow up on this in email.
      Anne Hendry will review with Michael Dill and post a clear
      description of the proposal to the list.  [Note: this was
      originally assigned to Mavis; see note above under
      Wednesday.  Mavis and Anne need to sort out this apparent
      mixup.]  This issue will be put on the agenda for the TC
      meetings to be held 8 and 9 September.  This will also be
      the beginning of a discussion about (a) versioning and
      source control and (b) the idea of a canonical format for
      our data models.

    - Localization status and review schedule: See minutes for
      Thursday.  The change log itself is included in the issues
      list (last column at the end); Stephen Green will perform a
      diff and follow up by posting a change list for the
      spreadsheet definitions to the list by the end of next week.
      Saito-san will then make appropriate changes to the Japanese
      translation by the end of the week following.  Jon Bosak
      will send a list of changes to index.html when he gets back
      from vacation.

    - NDR document status: Work will continue after the end of
      this plenary session, by the end of which we expect to have
      done all of the examples and resolution of most of the
      remaining issues, after which the MS will be transferred
      back to Mark Crawford with a copy to the TC list.  Mark will
      change a graphic, circulate the draft within LMI for a week,
      and then put out to the list Friday next week for UBL
      review.

    - CD2 packaging status: Jon Bosak will include everything
      today except the /fs directory, post the package to the
      list, let sit during sanity checks till week after next,
      then send the final build out for ballot.

    - UBL 1.0 schedule: Here is what the schedule for OASIS
      standardization of UBL 1.0 looks like if everything goes
      perfectly over the next month:

         2004.09.08 CD balloting begins and final paperwork is
                    readied for submission to OASIS

         2004.09.15 Balloting ends and the CD is submitted for
                    standardization (we believe that the changes made
                    between CD1 and CD2 are not substantial enough to
                    require yet another review cycle; the namespace URN
                    change is a technical correction to conform to RFC
                    3121)

         2004.10.01 UBL 1.0 is sent to the OASIS membership

         2004.10.16 OASIS balloting opens

         2004.10.31 OASIS balloting closes

         2004.11.01 UBL 1.0 is publicly announced

    - 2005 TC meeting schedule: We recommed that the TC follow the
      lead of some other standards bodies by going to three
      face-to-face meetings a year.  Here is the schedule we would
      like to see adopted for 2005:

         April/May: Seoul, Korea, or Fremantle, Australia.  We
         request that proposals to host this meeting be submitted
         by 1 October 2004.

         July/August: Ottawa or Montreal, Canada.

         November/December: San Francisco.

    - Membership review: We need to clean up our membership list
      to move inactive members to Observer status.  Jon Bosak to
      send a message to the list informing inactive members that
      they must indicate their desire to remain voting members or
      be subject to a change to Observer status.  Our
      interpretation of the OASIS TC membership rules indicates
      that every prospective member who has attended at least two
      consecutive TC meetings should be made a voting member.

   We thank our hosts, the Danish Bankers Association, for their
   warm hospitality, their excellent meeting facilities, and their
   fabulous food.

Respectfully submitted,

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC