ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Minutes of UBL Atlantic Call 13 October 2004

Hi,

I just want to clarify, as I did in the call, that the first statement
("From a single data model the tool would create spreadsheets and
schema. These could be compared against other spreadsheets that would be
created for QA purposes.") could be read to imply that the 'other'
spreadsheets (the ones ubl is maintaining and using for business
modeling) are maintainted solely for QA purposes.  As I noted in the
call, this is almost the opposite of what we have discussed - the intent
that we will be modeling ubl in, and maintaining, a set of spreadsheet
outside of EDIFIX, then those are entered into EDIFIX and will produce
secondary ss from it's internal model, and those EF secondary ss are the
ones that will be used for QA purposes.  The difference between this and
the above statement is that the EF-generated ss are the ones that are
produced for QA purposes, and the 'other spreadsheets' are the ones we
maintain and use for UBL business modeling, and represent the 'base'
that should be tested against.  I think we need a better term for these
than 'other' spreadsheets.

Along these lines, I'd like to propose a change in terminology   Since
GEFEG uses the term 'data model' for it's internal model from which all
outputs are generated (and now also quailfies this with 'UBL/CCTS'), and
this has led to confusion because we also have been calling the
spreadsheets the 'ubl model', that we adopt a clear and distinct term
for the business models represented in the UBL hand-crafter
spreadsheets.  This could be 'ubl business models, or 'ubl document
assembly models' or anything else that is unique - anything but 'data
models', or just plain 'models'.  In 1.0 we called them 'spreadsheet
models' in the title of the section in the index.html file, and
'spreadsheet assembly models' in the text.  'Spreadsheet model' is no
longer a useful term as the output of EF, when it outputs ss, are also
'spreadsheet models'.  I think we just need to agree on some terminology
so we can get clarify in discussions on what it is we are talking about,
and also in agreements, on what we are agreeing to.  Perhaps the models
maintained and generated by ef should also be prefaced with 'ef''
(rather than, or in addition to,  'ubl') until we get this down.

I don't have any attachments to any of the terminology mentioned above,
but jsut want to see two recognizably distinct terms used to refer to
these distinct things.

-A