ubl message

Subject: More correct minutes of the Santa Clara UBL TC meeting, 1-5 November 2004

Fixing yet another omission from the attendance record; nothing
else changed.

Jon

MINUTES OF THE SANTA CLARA UBL TC MEETING, 1-5 NOVEMBER 2004

Note that these minutes cover only the TC plenary sessions, during
which the TC was not quorate but operated under our standing rules
as if it were a committee of the whole empowered to report back
(in this very report) to the full TC via email.  Meeting time not
devoted to these plenary discussions was spent working on EDIFIX
configuration and completion of the NDR document.

IMPORTANT: Voting members of the UBL TC have one week from the
posting of these minutes to register any disagreement with the
recommendations of the TC subgroup meeting in Santa Clara.  Items
for which silence will be taken as consent are signaled by the
appearance of "Agreed:" at the beginning of the item.

PARTICIPANTS

   Jon Bosak (chair) [M-F]
   Mavis Cournane [M-F]
   Mark Crawford (vice chair) [M-F]
   Michael Grimley [M-F]
   Eduardo Gutentag [MTh]
   Anne Hendry [M-F]
   David Kruppke [MTuW]
   Bill Meadows [M]
   Marion Royal [MTuWTh]
   Ray Seddigh [M-F]
   Paul Thorpe [MTuWTh]
   Sylvia Webb [M-F]
   Peter Yim [M-F]

   By phone: Stephen Green [MTuThF]
             G. Ken Holman [M]
             Tim McGrath [MWTh]
             Thomas Lee [MWTh]
             Monica Martin [MTu]
             Kumar Sivaraman [Th]
             Lisa Seaburg [W]
             Patrick Yee [M]

MONDAY MORNING (OPENING) PLENARY 1 NOVEMBER 2004

HISC REPORT (G. Ken Holman, by phone)

   The HISC will begin to meet starting 9 November at 8:30
   p.m. Washington time; notice will be posted to the HISC list.

   JB to add HISC to call for participants.

   JB to contact Micah Dubinko.

   Ambrosoft has announced the availability of the Crane UBL
   stylesheet library as a single jar file -- creates HTML file or
   FO file; standalone; no charge to user.

   JB to announce availability of Ambrosoft formatter.

SSC REPORT (Anne Hendry)

   The SSC report can be found at

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/9965/sf_ssc_opening.ppt

   AH has the work list for this week.

   JB to add a link from the TC web page to the SSC FAQ when told
   that it's ready to be published.

NDR TEAM REPORT (Mavis Cournane)

   MavisC: All the comments received during the 30-day review have
   been collected and provided to the team for consideration this
   week.  Goal is to have the revised NDR 1.0 doc complete by the
   end of the meeting.

   Agreed: Since none of the changes is expected to be
   substantive, we can then go straight to another CD ballot
   without further public review.  Changes will be logged.

CODE LIST TEAM REPORT

   MarkC: Code lists were discussed in the eBSC meeting; we
   reminded the eBSC that this is in OASIS as part of UBL.  We
   need to find some way to make possible the involvement of
   non-OASIS people.

   Agreed: We should invite the eBSC to form a liaison group
   to work with our code list team in completing the code list
   specification and advancing it to CD status.

   JB to send mail to Mark Palmer.  MarkC will follow up in person
   next week in a briefing to NIST 9 November.

   JB to add code list team to request for participants.

   JB to formally invite all of ATG to participate (Anders
   Grangard chair, MarkC vice chair).

TBG17 LIAISON TEAM REPORT (Marion Royal)

   MR: Tim McGrath has done a sweep to compare with UBL BIEs and
   ABIEs.  Approximately 26 of the BIEs implement at TBG17 CC; not
   equivalent because of different representation terms.  TM not
   very encouraged.  Difficult to make distinction between ACCs
   and ABIEs; apparently some subjectivity in the assignment to
   these categories.  Will continue to work on this.  The question
   is: must there be a one-to-one correspondence to keep an
   alignment with CCTS?

   MarkC: According to Section 7 of the CCTS, we have to identify
   a CC for every BIE, but there is no requirement to map to TBG17
   CCs.  The simplest solution is to turn our library into CCs.
   We don't have to claim conformance with TBG17 CCs.

   MR: Alignment with TBG17 will have to be a UBL 2.0 decision.

   Agreed: In the UBL 1.x time frame, we will just maintain
   liaison with TBG17 as it works to clarify its process without
   concern at this time for compliance with the TBG17 CC catalog,
   which is still evolving, and hope to achieve alignment with the
   TBG17 CC catalog in UBL 2.0.

   Agreed: The TBG17 Liaison Team will suspend weekly conference
   calls.  (MR continues to serve as team lead and as our liaison
   to TBG17).

TAX XML LIAISON TEAM REPORT (Sylvia Webb)

   SW: The team had its first conference call last week.  We tried
   to understand why the Tax XML TC needs data embedded in UBL
   messages, but everything we heard was outside the scope of the
   payload, having to do with communications protocols and
   application design.  They agreed to internally investigate the
   content of UBL messages to identify mandatory data and come
   back with specific work requirements.  In the Tax XML TC
   meeting later that day, it was decided that in addition to
   analyzing UBL messages, they will do a white paper on the
   requirements for embedding UBL in XBRL or vice versa.  They
   will not come back to the Liaison Team till the white paper is
   done, so there will be no update for a while from the LT until
   this input is received.

   MarkC: It's not clear what the requirements are; the bulk of
   the questions are at the application layer rather than the data
   layer.  The main need seems to be for transaction information,
   for example the info conveyed by ebMS or the CEFACT generic
   header.  We need them to give us clear requirements.

OTHER LIAISON REPORTS

   MarkC: UN/CEFACT ATG: The UDT and CC schema modules were
   published back to the UBL list, but we never picked this up.
   We need to make sure that this is part of UBL 1.1 and UBL 2.0
   discussions.

   MarkC: Need to follow up on a summary posted earlier;
   additional changes were made last week by Garret, but there are
   still differences with UBL 1.0.  This was a topic of discussion
   at eBSC; RosettaNet and CIDX are also interested.

   MarkC: ATG NDRs: Have reviewed 300+ comments and resolved all
   but two.  The editor is starting to update the document for
   ATG2 review by the end of the month.  One comment is
   philosophical/technical: no namespace versions for minor
   changes.  The other is Garret's; he is convinced that XSD does
   not allow derivation by restriction across namespaces.

   JB: What about the rule that deviates from the MoU/MG decision
   mandating UTF-8 on the spurious grounds that UTF-16 is required
   for some languages?

   MarkC: No progress on that.

   MarkC: Global/local: Some LMI people are testing the idea that
   it might be possible to define two sets of schemas embodying
   the two different approaches but designed in such a way that
   instances would validate against both of them.

REGARDING COMMENTS RECEIVED DURING THE OASIS VOTE ON UBL
STANDARDIZATION

   Agreed: All technical inconsistencies were resolved in CD
   revision.  The comments received during the ballot do not
   invalidate the technical accuracy of the candidate
   specification.  The two negative votes reflect disagreements
   about direction that were resolved during the process that
   created the specification; they do not reflect upon the
   validity or accuracy of the specification.  OASIS
   Administration should be requested to proceed with
   standardization.

   JB to put the question of whether to proceed with
   standardization before the TC by email then and follow up with
   OASIS Administration.

MONDAY AFTERNOON PLENARY 1 NOVEMBER 2004

UBL 1.1 WORKFLOW

   Agreed:

    - Parallel workteams under central coordination of the TC

    - Work we can accomplish will depend on the resources
      available

    - Reviews should be performed on the whole 1.1 bundle, not
      piecemeal (so we should have the whole thing together before
      we start review cycles)

    - But we should publicly forecast our intentions in order to
      avoid unnecessary external customizations

    - Our basic work items are the ones on the current work list;
      these consist primarily of 1.0 leftovers and the Certificate
      of Origin

    - Nov/Dec 2004: Point to the work list as FYI, "these are the
      items we will be considering"; set 1 January end date for
      input on these items

   JB to update work list and request input.

UBL 1.1 SCHEDULE

   Agreed: Aim to have UBL 1.1 CD approved by start of TC meeting
   in early November 2005.

   Then working backward, we get a rough schedule for the year.
   [To save space, I've omitted this and then put the schedule we
   finally arrived at over the course of the week in the report of
   the Friday plenary at the end.]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
TUESDAY MORNING PLENARY 2 NOVEMBER 2004
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

ISSUES LISTS

   Agreed: We will need to maintain issues lists, errata, and
   white papers for:

    - NDR spec (1.0 errata, 1.1 reviews)

    - Code List spec (1.0 errata, 1.1 reviews, white papers)

    - Customization spec (1.0 errata, 1.1 reviews)

    - UBL 1.0 Standard, possibly per schema or spreadsheet (assess
      after we see how much) (1.0 errata, 1.1 reviews)

    - Documentation (1.0 errata, 1.1 reviews)

    - Any other major components of the release (1.0 errata, 1.1
      reviews)

   Agreed that errata compilation and publication is the
   responsibility of the document editor.

SUBCOMMITTEES VS. TEAMS

   The results of this discussion were summarized in mail sent to
   the UBL list 3 November 2004 under the heading "Possible
   subcommittee reorganization."  Much of this plan was later
   abandoned after further discussion in the Thursday afternoon
   plenary.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
TUESDAY AFTERNOON PLENARY 2 NOVEMBER 2004
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

LATE 1.0 INPUT

   The group reviewed a message received today from Gunther Stuhec
   explaining SAP's negative vote on UBL 1.0.

   Agreed: Gunther's message contains nothing new, and the
   conclusion reached Monday stands.

UBL 1.1 WORKFLOW

   Results of this session have been included in the Monday
   afternoon report above.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
WEDNESDAY MORNING PLENARY 3 NOVEMBER 2004
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

CHARTER REVIEW

   We skipped this session so that we could work in teams on
   EDIFIX configuration and NDR completion.  We will revisit
   charter revision after OASIS finishes its revision of the TC
   process.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON PLENARY 3 NOVEMBER 2004
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

LOCALIZATION

   This session was poorly attended, probably due to insufficient
   visibility of this item among the localization chairs.

   Agreed: Let's suggest to the Localization SCs the following
   schedule:

    - End the comment period at the end of November

    - Finish the dictionary translations by the end of December

   JB to attempt a master dictionary (compilation of all the
   translations in one spreadsheet).  This may or may not work.

   TM: Each entry of such a dictionary could be assigned a
   relative URI, and that could be put into the documentation area
   of the 1.1 schemas.

   PY: The business terms in the translation are not unique.

   TM to discuss business term uniqueness with TL and see how much
   work it would take to assign a unique local business term to
   each UBL name.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
THURSDAY MORNING PLENARY 4 NOVEMBER 2004
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

NEW UBL CONTENT

   MarkC: At the beginning of this TC, we adopted a set of target
   documents; if we're not going to execute on that, we should say
   so, and if we are, we should move ahead.

   JB: The APEC list of 17 trade documents is another good set of
   targets.

   Much discussion on this point and related points ensued.
   Outcomes:

    - In order to be guided by user experience in determining
      future direction and to provide implementation examples for
      1.1, we should encourage the use of UBL by other OASIS TCs.

   JB to follow up with OASIS SOA, BPSS, and eGov TCs.

    - Expanding our simple business scenario might be a good place
      to start thinking about the future, and discussions around
      this topic might attract more participation.

    - The question of which processes and doctypes to add to UBL
      might profitably be the subject of an extended public
      discussion about goals for UBL 2.0.  But it would take a
      team to properly guide such a discussion.

   JB to add this to the call for participation.

RECRUITMENT AND RESOURCE DISCOVERY

   JB: Work item: the construction of a "help wanted" call for
   participation in UBL 1.1.  Beyond that, some companies are now
   going to have an investment in UBL; how do we get them to step
   up to their responsibility to help develop and maintain it?

   RS: We need to develop business models (value scenarios) that
   will provide an incentive for service providers.

   RS and JB to develop a stock pitch on the benefits of
   participation.

   JB to notify the following that we are looking for participants
   to develop pilot projects and interoperability tests:

      BEA
      Booz Allen
      Deloitte
      EDS
      GXS
      IBM consulting
      Microsoft
      Northrup Grumman
      Oracle
      SAIC
      SeeBeyond
      Sterling
      Sun PS
      US Govt Financial Management Services

MARKETING AND OUTREACH

   RS: A key to recruitment might be regionalization...

   JB: UBL users groups... Each of our organizations could host a
   local meeting of UBL users, using the ubl-dev list for
   announcements. (A good way to discover prospects, too.)

   MR: Someone needs to provide UBL training on DVD... Sponsors
   willing to build training media could be offered free
   advertising.  The UBL TC gives them access to the experts; the
   training companies could sell it or give it away.

   JB to approach training companies with a pitch analogous to the
   one described about for service vendors; ask MM for contacts and
   also our Asian participants.

IMPLEMENTATION REVIEW

   No new implementors so far, but a lot of questions.

INTEROPERABILITY TESTING

   JB: We were offered a slot for XML 2004, but I turned it down
   as too early yet.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
THURSDAY AFTERNOON PLENARY 4 NOVEMBER 2004
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

SEMANTIC HARMONIZATION

   See Monday morning plenary.

SUBCOMMITTEES VS. TEAMS REVISITED

   TM: If we have SCs, they should be organized in a way that
   reflects deliverables (see mail to ubl list).

   MavisC: Instead of the "SC of the week" we could have "the hot
   topic of the month" to attract those particular people.

   MarkC: But you don't do a project linearly.

   JB: Could have key subject plus parallel teams...

   MR: could alternate meetings...

   (Much discussion)

   MR: Make it the culture of the TC that everyone is subscribed
   to all of the subcommittee lists.

   Agreed: This is a good idea.  We could organize SCs by
   deliverable.

   Agreed:

    - Keep current SC deployments.  The main focus right now is
      1.1 itself (and working through the items already in front
      of us as a TC).

    - Divide the two-hour Atlantic and Pacific TC meetings in
      half, the first and second halves of which are to be spent
      as follows [note that this doesn't start until we have
      finished the EF configuration work begun at this meeting]:

       - For the Atlantic meetings till the end of February 2005:

          - First half of each meeting UBL 1.1 adds from the work
            list

          - Second half alternates between NDR and Code Lists
            (because these specs are in the critical path for
            EDIFIX configuration)

       - For the Pacific meetings till the end of February 2005:

          - First half of each meeting UBL 1.1 adds from the work
            list

          - Second half alternates between Localization and
            Certificate of Origin

    - After February, we devote the second half of the Atlantic
      Meeting to customization guidelines and extension
      methodology.

    - The second half of the Pacific meeting after February is
      left partially unscheduled for the moment; part will
      continue to be used for localization, but the rest may be
      used for other major content contributions, human interface
      work, or 1.1 Q/A and packaging.

ONTOLOGY REPORT

Peter Yim gave a report on the Ontolog Forum's CCT-Representation
project, which is an attempt to establish an Ontological Basis for
ebXML Core Component Types.  A copy of that report can be found at

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/10107/ubl-ontolog-20041104.ppt

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
FRIDAY MORNING (CLOSING) PLENARY 4 NOVEMBER 2004
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

NDR REPORT

   NDR Team: The revised NDR CD is nearly done and will be
   finished in a work session immediately following the TC
   plenary.  [And so it happened.]  Put it out for ballot.

   JB to put out the revised CD for ballot immediately following
   handoff after the meeting.  [And it was so.]

   JB to make sure that the NDR CD is in to OASIS for
   standardization in advance of the XML 2004 conference and to
   mention in his presentation.

SSC REPORT

   AH: Started with comments and fixes from SG and reached
   agreement on them.  Moved on to review EF requests for
   spreadsheet changes, some controversial and some not; both
   sides have AIs to define the effect of changes.

   Went through NDRs and checked against schemas, coming to
   agreement on most; some input back to NDR regarding some things
   to be revisited in 1.1, such revisit to be done in the entire
   TC. Next steps are to complete the AIs and the investigation,
   then do the round-tripping test.  So most of the meeting was
   spent on alignment between spreadsheets, schemas, and NDRs --
   haven't changed anything yet.  David's presence was very
   productive.  The SSC will produce a report with reasons for
   changes.  None are due to limitations in EF, all are due to
   limitations in the spreadsheet format.

   JB to schedule a TC discussion of the SSC report for the first
   meeting after the F2F.

1.01 CD

   JB: We know of at least one schema error that needs to be
   fixed.

   Agreed that we should publish a UBL 1.01 CD containing this and
   other corrections.

   JB to put the question of what needs to be fixed on the TC
   agenda soon.

TENTATIVE 2005 WORK SCHEDULE

   Agreed that we will adopt the schedule arrived at Monday
   afternoon with the addition of a couple of deadlines that
   surfaced in later discussion:

   01 Jan 2005 Completion of 1.0 translations

   01 Mar 2005 Completion of 1.1 additions already on the work list

   15 Apr 2005 Cutoff for any major additions to 1.1 submitted in our
               format and accompanied by whatever resources are
               needed to accomplish the work; cutoff for any
               changes to the UBL 1.1 NDRs; cutoff for any changes
               to the UBL 1.1 code list spec

   15 Jun 2005 Public review No. 1 (data model only)

   15 Jul 2005 Comment disposition

   15 Aug 2005 Public review No. 2 (entire 1.1 package)

   15 Sep 2005 Comment disposition

   15 Oct 2005 1.1 CD vote begins

   01 Nov 2005 CD approved by start of UBL TC meeting

WEEKLY TC CALLS

   Agreed: We will mark the return to standard time from daylight
   time by moving the UTC for the Atlantic call one hour forward
   (thus keeping our usual start and end times in San Francisco,
   Washington, and London) but keeping the UTC for the Pacific
   call the same (thus keeping our usual times in Hong Kong,
   Singapore, Beijing, Perth, Seoul, and Tokyo while moving San
   Francisco and Washington one hour earlier).

FEBRUARY TC MEETING

   We need to carve out time for a U.S. East Coast meeting
   (probably in Washington) between this November meeting and the
   next one in April or May 2005.

   Conflicts:

      02/07-02/11 MarkC out
      02/14-02/18 MavisC out
      02/21-02/25 MavisC out
      02/28-03/04 W3C plenary
      03/07-03/11 TC154; TBG17, London
      03/14-03/18 UN/CEFACT, Kuala Lumpur
      03/21-03/25 JB out
      [easter is 27 March]
      03/38-04/01 AH out

   [We missed my conflict the week of 3/22 and so decided to
   recommend that week to the TC, but I can't make it.  So this
   needs further discussion.]

APRIL TC MEETING

   We will probably move the April TC meeting in Beijing out to
   May, returning us in effect to a quarterly schedule.  JB can't
   go to Beijing.  If MarkC doesn't get approval to go, we're
   thinking that TM could chair.

NDR 1.1 EDITORIAL TEAM

   Agreed: MarkC continues as lead editor with MavisC and MG as
   subeditors (Mark continues to own the document, but all have
   access to the editable file).  They are assisted by as many
   other members of the TC as wish to join them.

CODE LISTS

   Agreed: Changes to NDR 1.1 and the Code List spec must be
   finished by April 15 because they are on the critical path for
   EF.

   JB to forward Marty Burns's message to the TC.

   With regard to Marty's point 4 (circulate a request for issues,
   etc.), we suggest that this be changed to "validate existing
   code list requirements".  We don't think it's necessary to have
   a separate list of requirements for each code list, or if so,
   what code lists MB has in mind beyond the set in UBL 1.0.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC