ubl message

Subject: Re: CCTS review

I will copy ths to the list in case anyone has more to add.

As I said in my previous comments.  This issue comes down to two points:

1. The majority of my original concerns came down to using a different set
   of NDRs. But as we plan to pick up ATG2 CCT schemas for UBL 2.0 this is a
   no-brainer.  The names will inevitably change for some elements and some attributes.

2. The remaining issues relate to choice of XSD datatypes.  It is
   important that UBL and ATG2 use the same XSD datatypes so that anyone
   can map from one to the other.
   I have reviewed the schemas sent by Mark last month and ATG2 have
   adopted the same types as UBL.  That's the good news.
   The only problem is that ATG2 have implemented code sets in their
   schemas.  This means that ATG2  core component types are more restricted
   that UBL ones.  So even though semantically and structurally a UBL
   measurement code is the same as an ATG2 one, UBL will allow any value and
   ATG2 will not. Similarly, ATG2 have also fixed the xsd:boolean on
   Indicator types to be either "true" or "false".  UBL
   uses the unrestricted xsd:boolean, which i think also allows "0" and "1" and
   maybe "TRUE" and "FALSE" but you need to check the XSD specs.
   There is not much we can do about this and in reality i don't think it
   will be a problem with new implementations but it may be for those using
   UBL 1.* and trying to upgrade.   UBL users will just has to accept that in UBL 2.0
   the values for some attributes will be restricted.

The second issue also preempts UBL code list mechanism but I am not sure that is feedback to ATG2 - more for UBL interest.

--
regards
tim mcgrath

DOCUMENT ENGINEERING: Analyzing and Designing Documents for Business Informatics and Web Services
(coming soon from MIT Press)
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=632C40AB-4E94-4930-A94E-22FF8CA5641F&ttype=2&tid=10476