ubl message

Subject: proposal for changes to schema layout (rule gxs1)

Hi,

This is a proposal for how the schema files will be organized / formatted.
This proposal takes the current 1.0 ndr GXS1 rule and compares with the
existing 1.0 schemas (which are not compliant with the 1.0 GXS1 rule),
to propose adding or removing from the rule and/or schemas for a final
format for 1.1.

This is for discussion at the Wednesday 23 February UBL TC meeting.

Schema Format Proposal
----------------------

Current GXS rule noted with ">>" at start of line.
Comments/corrections inline.

  >> [GXS1]
  >> UBL Schema MUST conform to the following physical layout as applicable:

  >> XML Declaration

OK to keep this.  Current declaration is:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

  >> <!-- ===== Copyright Notice ===== -->
  >> "Copyright ? 2001-2004 The Organization for the Advancement of Structured
  >> Information Standards (OASIS). All rights reserved.

Schemas should inlcude comment section separator.
Scheams should take copyright text should be taken verbatim from OASIS:
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/intellectual_property_2000-1-13.php
section OASIS.IPR.4.Notices, subsections (A), (B), (C), and,
when applicable, subsection (D).

(This is a new ipr policy for OASIS and takes effect on 15 April 2005.)

In addition, the following fields should be included in the header comment,
below the copyright:

OASIS Open (http://www.oasis-open.org/)
Universal Business Language Specification
    (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl)
Document Name: <insert document name w/o suffix>
Generated On: <insert date with timestamp>

and they should be clearly separated from the copyright notice.
(insert single line between?)

  >> <!-- ===== xsd:schema Element With Namespaces Declarations ===== -->

Keep this part of the rule.
Schemas need to be updated to include this comment line.

  >> xsd:schema element to include version attribute and namespace declarations in
  >> the following order:
  [Sentence above is part of rule, not to be included in schema]

  >>	xmlns:xsd

OK.  Schemas already conform with above line.

  >>	Target namespace
  >>	Default namespace
  >>	CommonAggregateComponents
  >>	CommonBasicComponents
  >>	CoreComponentTypes
  >>	Unspecialized Datatypes
  >>	Specialized Datatypes
  >>	Identifier Schemes
  >>	Code Lists

Schemas currently don't conform to this order.
Order needs review for technical issues, but otherwise is fine as in rule.
Schemas need to be updated to conform to this order (unless technical
reason for altering the order).

Not all schemas need to include all these declarations, so as long as
we agree that the words 'as applicable', which are in the opening sentence
of the rule, means these can be present or not present, as needed, as long
as they are in this order, then we are ok with this.

  >> Attribute Declarations ? elementFormDefault="qualified"
  >> attributeFormDefault="unqualified"

OK, schemas currently conform to the two lines above.

  >> <!-- ===== Imports ===== -->

Schemas do not have this comment line.
Add this to schemas (unless there are no imports).

  >> CommonAggregateComponents schema module
  >> CommonBasicComponents schema module
  >> Unspecialized Types schema module
  >> Specialized Types schema module

Schemas don't currently conform to this order.
Change schemas to conform to this order unless
technically problematic or non-standard.

Rule is missing other import possibilities:
  - any codelist schemas
  - cc parameters schema
Add these to the rule.

  >> <!-- ===== Global Attributes ===== -->
  >> Global Attributes and Attribute Groups

Leave rule.
Add global attribute or attribute groups here,
and add comment section separator when they are present.

  >> <!-- ===== Root Element ===== -->
  >> Root Element Declaration
  >> Root Element Type Definition

Leave rule.
This is how it is now in schemas,
but schemas need to add comment section separator.

  >> <!-- ===== Element Declarations ===== -->
  >> alphabetized order

Leave rule.
This is how it is now in schemas,
but schemas need to add comment section separator.

Also there was some discussion a while back on how
to handle the capitalization of the second word in
terms of how that should be alphabetized.  Was there
a conclusion on this?

  >> <!-- ===== Type Definitions ===== -->
  >> All type definitions segregated by basic and aggregates as follows

Schemas should add comment section separator.

  >> <!-- ===== Aggregate Business Information Entity Type Definitions ===== -->
  >> alphabetized order of ccts:AggregateBusinessInformationEntity
  >> xsd:TypeDefinitions

Schemas should include comment section separator if section has content.
Rule should remove ":" from after ccts and xsd, as that syntax has no meaning here.

  >> <!-- =====Basic Business Information Entity Type Definitions ===== -->
  >> alphabetized order of ccts:BasicBusinessInformationEntities

Schemas should include comment section separator if section has content.
Rule should remove ":" from after ccts and xsd, as that syntax has no meaning here.

This section of the rule should mention ASBIEs also.

  >> <!-- ===== Copyright Notice ===== -->
  >> Required OASIS full copyright notice.

Remove above two lines from rule.
Full copyright is now at the top of the schemas.

Overall comment: this rule only seems to consider the document schemas,
not the code list nor common schemas.  Need to decide whether to add a
rule for those or not, since it will be hard to create one rule for all
three types of schemas (document, common, codelist).