ubl message

Subject: Possible last draft of the UBL 1.0 data dictionary

Hello UBL TC,

Attached is what may be the final draft of the UBL 1.0 data
dictionary, at least final with regard to content.  I still have
not received names of the Chinese translators, so I have credited
the China National Institute of Standardization; I will replace
this with individual names if and when I can get them.

The schedule we proposed in the Pacific TC call of 26 January was
as follows:

   2005.02.15: Begin HTML transformation and PSI generation

   2005.03.15: Try to sign off on a complete CD candidate

   2005.03.21: Begin CD balloting

   2005.03.28: End CD balloting

   April 2005: Public review of the MLDD CD

   May 2005: Resolve comments received during review, using the
   Hangzhou UBL TC meeting to work on this

   June 2005: Reballot the CD and release it as a CD

We haven't yet begun the planned HTML conversion and PSI
generation, so from that angle we're way behind schedule, but I
now wonder whether we might not want to deal with that as a
separate deliverable.  I'm not just thinking of the technical
challenges here, but also of the spreadsheet functionality (in
particular, the ability to hide some of the translations) that
would be lost in converting to a simple table.  Treating the
HTML/PSI version as a separate deliverable would also put us right
on schedule.  :-)  If we're successful in creating the HTML
version, we can include that in the second CD scheduled for June.

So what I would like to propose in today's Pacific TC call is that
we approve the current version for a CD ballot, authorizing me as
the editor to update the credits and to prepare an openoffice
version to go along with the Excel version (if that's feasible
within this schedule).  I think that the DD in its present form is
a uniquely useful document, and I'd like to put it into
circulation as soon as possible.

Jon

ubldd104.xls