ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] [ver] (AW/Fwd) to consider before call

I admit to thinking 'anything but substitution groups' but we'd
better discuss it today.

The codelist discussion of the same mechanism on ubl-dev
(e.g. http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200502/msg00012.html )
never really got resolved.

Of course the UBL NDR outlaws the mechanism.

Do sg's actually offer anything we can't get
from having two sets of Schemas?

What is the difference between a set of Schemas that validates
two versions because it links to a second set of previous schemas
by import and merely having two sets of Schemas to do the same job?

What is involved in trying to avoid not just changes to the
namespaces between versions but changes to the
'schemaLocation' values too?

My main question is how does the party validating the instance
know whether an unknown extension element has been added
to a type and whether the extra element is invalid or just part
of a version they didn't know about? I.e. doesn't this design
prevent any element added according to extension compatibility
rules ever being invalid.

Does the mechanism cause more confusion than it solves?

Is it supported as fully in tools as would be warranted for a
horizontal standard such as UBL is designed to be?

Here's my tuppence worth.

All the best

Steve