OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

ubl message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]


      Hangzhou Huagang HNA Resort,
      No.1 Yanggongti, West Lake District,
      Hangzhou, 310007, P.R.China
      Tim McGrath(chair)
      Mavis Cournane
      Anne Hendry
      Thomas Lee
      Yukinori Saito
      Sung Hyuk Kim
      Peter Larsen Borresen
      Mikkel Hippe Brun
      Colin Lam
      Sun Ho Kim
      Sun Wenfeng
      Stephen Green  (teleconference Wednesday)
      Jon Bosak (teleconference Monday)

The UBL Technical Committee greatly appreciate the support of the 
Chinese National Institute of Standards and in particular Mr Lu Bisong 
who organized this meeting in Hangzhou.
The meeting facilities and the personal contributions of CNIS member, 
Sun Wenfeng were exceptional. Those in attendance agreed this has been 
one of the most productive and enjoyable UBL meetings to date.

The primary objectives of this meeting were:
- Hear reports from localization subcommittees and liaisons
- Review UBL 2.0 requirements and schedule
- Work of development of content models for UBL 2.00
- Discuss deployment strategies for UBL in the Asia Pacific region.
- Review of comments received regarding the UBL 1.0 International Data 
Dictionary (IDD) CD
- Discussion of possible UBL transition to UN/CEFACT

1. Hear reports from localization subcommittees and liaisons
CNLSC:The Digital Trade and Transportation network in HK intends to 
submit their document models to UBL. UBL components, types and NDR have 
been used but not all the UBL 1.0 Library Content. DTTN is government 
subsidized. The UBL approach is recommended by the DTTN in HK.

KRLSC:KRLSC is now discussing financial support with KIEC. KIEC wants to 
accept KRLSC as one of the working groups for the e-document 
standardization. The support of KIEC wold have a positive affect on the 
localization of UBL.The government supported E Commerce Internet 
forum(ECIF) will receive the draft of the Korean localization effort. 
There are also guidelines for UBL applications written in Korean.
This should be announced on the UBL website.

JPLSC: Has reviewed the mapping study between major Japanese business 
documents and UBL.
The translation of the UBL data types was confirmed by a 90% match on 
essential BIEs.
The significance of the ECALGA project in Japan is huge.

Proposed Danish LSC: Danish adoption of UBL Invoice has been successful. 
Next steps will be to ask UBL to have a Danish Localisation 
Subcommittee(European). Implementation of UBL order will be done by fall 
of 2006. A meeting is planned on May 18th to initiate a European forum 
(perhaps a European LSC). Attendees from Norway, Sweden, and Britain are 

ESLSC: Have built software libraries for UBL in Spain. 200 Companies are 
using the UBL libraries to generate the invoices. Between now and June 
they will be going live with 10 companies sending real invoices.
In South America there is an Ecuadorean working group. There is a 10 
month plan to define the UBL data needs, the pilot project and the 
dissemination plan.

2. Review UBL 2.0 requirements and schedule

Proposed major changes from UBL 1.0 to 2.0:
* Restructuring of the spreadsheet and schema architecture.
* Adding new documents so a extended procurement and certificate of 
origin application business process supported.
* Adding more Party-types.
* Buyer to buyer information applied.
* Person-type added.
* Incorporated legal requirements for Japan and the EU
* Support of prepayment/recurring payment
* Document references in all document types.
* Enhancement based on localization requirements.
* Better support for customisation.

The following are comments on the proposed UBL 2.0 extended business 
process model for procurement.

Proposed Sourcing Collaboration
We need a better document name than catalogue as this has caused some 
confusion.The most common use case is for a seller to send off a 
catalogue to various market places. He could send it to a buyer but that 
would be rarer.
The catalogue part of the process should not be emphasised, and should 
not be an integral part of the process. The request for quotation and 
the quotation are an independent and important part of the process. The 
catalogue question is important between the seller and the marketplace 
but not between the seller and the buyer.The Danish government would be 
interested in sponsoring the development of cataloguing document that 
extends the current proposed process.
We should split this process model into two - one to show the sourcing 
and the other would be quotation. Quotation would be a more interesting 
to Japan.

Proposed Fulfillment Collaboration
Rectification advice is not a word that is a word that is recognizable. 
A better word would be "Correction Advice". We suspect we could just 
resend a corrected despatch advice (as we do with Order). We may have a 
revised Receipt advice as well. Peter Borresen will investigate whether 
a despatch advice can satisfy the information requirements of a 
rectification advice.

Proposed Buyer Billing Collaboration
We need to know more about the information flow before a self bill 
invoice is created, for example, how does the buyer understand what to 
provide in the self bill invoice. Peter Borresen to investigate with IDA.

Proposed Seller Billing Collaboration
There is a document missing from the diagram - Account Response. This 
needs to be redrawn.

Proposed Payment Collaboration
There is also a requirement for an acknowledgment at the business level. 
Where an invoice is rejected a message is required to say so or else the 
Seller does not know until he doesn't get paid. We will propose a 
Invoice Rejection message. Mikkel Brun will design this.
It was agreed that for 2.0 we have to test that we can do a minor 
release before any formal release to ensure that versioning mechanism 
works. This should be done when we  generate the sample instances. This 
will be done by the Danish representatives.
Additionally, there will be an editorial team for the NDR document and 
extra resources to help with NDR activities are requested. Mavis was 
nominated as the editorial team leader to accomplish this.

Revised Schedule
   17 May 2005 Content team meeting in the Pacific TC calls starts
           processing input from European stakeholders and the
           OASIS Tax XML TC
   18 May 2005 NDR team meeting in the Atlantic TC calls starts
           reviewing NDR issues in light of the decision to
           make all elements global, then takes up code lists.
               Restructure spreadsheet models (see above).
   01 Jun 2005 Finalize requirements/issues list for 2.0
   15 Jun 2005 TC agree requirements/issues list for 2.0
               Begin updating spreadsheet models
               Agree changes to the NDR
   08 Jul 2005 Begin Public Review Number 1 (data model only)
               Load spreadsheets into EDIFIX and test/revise until 
   01 Jul 2005 GEFEG gets all the schema changes decided so far
               (DavidK goes on vacation last two weeks of July)
   08 Aug 2005 All-week UBL TC meeting in Ottawa hosted by Adobe:
               Review of the spreadsheet and EDIFIX models.
               Comment disposition, Review Number 1; begin final
               schema generation for Review Number 2
   01 Sep 2005 Package assembly for Review Number 2
               Test that we can do a minor release
   15 Sep 2005 Begin Public Review Number 2 (entire package)
   15 Oct 2005 Comment disposition and repackaging
   15 Nov 2005 2.0 internal UBL CD vote begins
   01 Dec 2005 CD approved by start of UBL TC meeting;
               begin OASIS one-month public review (etc.)

One of the key factors in whether we will meet the timetable is whether 
we have the resources to do it. Since 1.0 there are less resources to do 
it. Mikkel Brun emphasized that meeting these schedules was critical to 
UBL's acceptance.
We also discussed the need for review at critical points in the process 
in which TC wide participation is highly essential. TC review may need 
to take place on joint calls.
To better facilitate work items, we propose to establish a third weekly 
call slot (to suit Europe and Asia). Tim has offered to chair these 
calls (if Jon approves).
3. Work of development of content models for UBL 2.00
For 2.0 we would like to change the structure of the spreadsheets. The 
proposal is to have 3 three layers:
* the documents and any ABIEs only they use,
* common ABIEs (ie used more than once) within a context, and
* core ABIEs.
This will resolve the current inconsistency issue raised by NDR where we 
have some BBIEs in documents and not in the Common Basic Components. For 
example in the current CBC we have ReceivedHandlingUnitReceiptLine that 
is not really a CAC becasue it is contextual. It was agreed that 
"common"is not the same as "core".
NDR will need to redraw the schema diagram showing the CACs and CBC 
schemas that implement this, and to provide some naming rules for these.
We will try to ensure semantic compatibility with 1.0 and we don't 
intend to change the Data Dictionary (but we will add to it). There may 
be clarifications or definition changes in the Dictionary.
COML: Crimson Logic have done a lot of the work that UBL will 
incorporate into the UBL 2.0 Certificate of Origin document. Peter 
Borresen and Thomas Lee will liaise with Crimson Logic on the 
suitability for UBL of the model for digital signatures as provided by 
the COML project. Tim will transfer these requirements onthe UBL 2.0 
issues list.
IDA Issues: Peter Borresen and the European localization group will 
transfer their requirements into the UBL issues list.

4. Discuss deployment strategies for UBL in the Asia Pacific region.
JPLSC will propose a pilot project  with a view to seeing how 
harmonization could happen between Japan and other economies.
The other LSC representatives said that they would need some commerical 
funding to do this. Mikkel Brun will take this offer up with some Danish 

5. Review of comments received regarding the UBL 1.0 International Data 
Dictionary (IDD) CD
No comments were recevied so the dscussion moved onto leveraging the 
value of the IDD.
We discussed that the translation of the library content is very useful 
for the software UI if we could add a "label" to the metedata for use in 
It was noted that we now have a UBL CD document that will require 
maintenance. We need a synchronization plan to ensure coordination 
between the various localization SCs. There will be a need to translate 
new entries and to improve translations of existing entries.
One of the attractions of the IDD is that it could be a repository on a 
website and the entries would be URIs that could be pointed to.
The LSCs shared their different approaches in doing translation. In 
Japan individual translation was done, and then a peer review took 
place. In Korea this was done more in a group with a coordinator.
In China, there were 3 phases. First the BIEs were translated, one 
person did the draft translation, it was group reviewed, this was just 
within CNIS this review.During this process much attention  was paid to 
the old EDI translations. The existing translations of EDI were then 
reviewed by Industry Experts.
In Japan existing EDI translations were also used as basis for the 
initial translations.
a. Recommendations for new Localization SC
Generally, an expert would be appointed to perform an initial 
translation. Attention should be paid to any existing translations of 
BIEs (e.g. EDI translations). The initial translation should then be 
reviewed by a group of experts who will look at harmonization and 
semantic integrity.
b. Changes to the process required for maintenance
We propose to adopt a versioning scheme to act as an indicator for the 
change log. Every entry has to be versioned so it is readily 
identifiable what has changed.
c. Changes to the process for translations to the new dictionary entries
The environment for translation will be set up, but we won't apply 
translation until CD 2.0 is finalized.
We discussed that a good way of validating the translations is to see 
that the data when translated is formatted in the right way. For this we 
need a stylesheet in the different languages. These formatted views 
could then be used by the LSC review teams to review the translations. 
Having an abbreviated label for the output media (see above) would 
assist in this task.
We propose to create a project team for this and also support the 
request from HISC for use-case participants.

6. Discussion of possible UBL transition to UN/CEFACT
In a lengthy and considered discussion, all attendess presented their 
assessment of the concerns and opportunities of this transition.  The 
key points were:
a. ISO accreditation would be extremely significant for UBL adoption in 
Asia. Both China and Korea automatically adopt and develop ISO 
standards. If UN/CEFACT can fast track UBL as an ISO standard it would 
be attractive.  However we are unsure if OASIS and the MOU still offer 
an alternative.
b. However, the market would be confused if UN/CEFACT published 
alternative document schemas.
c. The reluctance of UN/CEFACT to consider adopting the UBL NDRs does 
not bode well for integration with other UN/CEFACT work items.
d. Of all the areas for UBL, the UN/eDocs (TBG ??) appears the most 
palatable to both parties.
e. A key to ongoing development of UBL will be the willingness of our 
current memebrs to transition with it.

Calendar review
The Danish, British and other scandinavian governments are meeting on 
May 19th in Copenhagen to discuss UBL. Peter Borresen will provide 
details to the list.
The ebXML Asia Committee meeting will take place in Hong Kong in June. 
Thomas Lee will provide details
We will seek a meeting in Europe in early March 2006, and an additional 
meeting in Korea in the early May 2006 if appropriate.

Individual Action Items
Peter Borresen:
* will incorporate the IDA requirements in to the 2.0 Issues list
* with Thomas Lee will liaise with Crimson Logic on the suitability for 
UBL of the model for digital signatures as provided by the COML project
* investigate whether a despatch advice can satisfy the information 
requirements of a rectification advice
* provide details of the British and other scandinavian governments 
meeting on May 19th in Copenhagen to the UBL list.
* take the current UBL library and divide it in to contexts.
Thomas Lee:
* document new three-level architecture and send to Saito-san.
* upload the DTTN codelist approach paper to the UBL list.
* with Peter Borresen will liaise with Crimson Logic on the suitability 
for UBL of the model for digital signatures as provided by the COML project
* provide details of ebXML Asia meeting in Hong Kong.
Mavis Cournane:
* lead the discussion in the Atlantic call for the new rules required 
for the 3 three layers of schemas.
* lead the discussion in NDR about the need to remove any rules that 
would not be required now that we are adopting the ATG schemas. In that 
case do we need any UBL NDR rules about the CoreComponent types.
Mikkel Brun:
* propose a Invoice Rejection message.
* update extended business process model diagrams
Tim McGrath:
* raise the suggestion that once the NDR work is complete that there may 
be time and resource to pick up the customisation requirements.
* put back missing Account Response document in the Seller Billed 
Invoicing diagram.
* transfer COML requirements onto 2.0 issues list
Jon Bosak:
* update UBL web page with link to KRLSC guidelines,

tim mcgrath
phone: +618 93352228  
postal: po box 1289   fremantle    western australia 6160

DOCUMENT ENGINEERING: Analyzing and Designing Documents for Business Informatics and Web Services
(coming soon from MIT Press)

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]