ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 1 June 2005

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
15H00 - 17H00 UTC WEDNESDAY 1 JUNE 2005

ATTENDANCE

   Peter Borresen
   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Marty Burns
   Mavis Cournane
   Stephen Green
   Anne Hendry
   Paul Thorpe
   Sylvia Webb

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar (http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm)

      None.

   Liaison report: Tax XML TC

      SylviaW: Have just sent the list of additional elements
      requested by the Tax XML TC for UBL 2.0:

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200506/msg00002.html

      The TC members are going back to their organizations to
      determine whether they want to specify additional docs
      beyond 2.0 and if not, whether they want to participate in
      the development of docs submitted by others to ensure that
      any with tax info meet the requirements and best practices
      of the countries represented in the Tax XML TC.  They also
      discussed how they might participate in UNeDocs; no
      decisions on either subject were made this meeting.

   Subcommittee report: SSC

      AnneH: No meeting last week due to a scheduling mixup; there
      will be one this week.

   Subcommittee report: SBSC

      StephenG: KenH has produced a package, will do another soon;
      StephenG needs to do some edits, then should be finished.
      Question: We're not currently including the schema location
      in the instances because we don't see a need to validate
      them; the instances here are metadata, not messages, and the
      schema is just provided for completeness.  Any reason this
      would cause problems?

      AGREED that this is not a big deal.  Anyone seriously
      interested in applying the schemas can just put in their
      location.

   Team report: Code Lists

      MartyB: Still waiting for input in response to issue summary
      sent by MartyB and TonyC 25 April.

ACTION ITEMS DUE NEXT WEEK

   ACTION: MikkelB to check to see whether PeterB can fill the
   position of UBL liaison to TBG17 and report back on this 8
   June.

ADMINISTRIVIA: NDR EDITING

   AGREED that MavisC and MikeG will join MarkC as editors of the
   NDR document, with MarkC to be designated Lead Editor.  All
   three editors will have access to the live document.  NDR
   policy decisions will be made in NDR work sessions during TC
   meetings; the editing itself will be done by the editors
   meeting in ad hoc sessions arranged to suit their individual
   schedules.  Two or more editors will be required at each
   editing session.  The editable version of the doc will always
   be available to the editors, but will be checked out only for
   the editing sessions and returned along with a freshly
   generated PDF copy for general consumption immediately
   thereafter.

REVIEW OF EUROPE/ASIA TC CALL

   AGREED that Sue Probert will be the UBL liaison to ASEAL (not
   "AFEAL" as recorded in the minutes of the Europe/Asia call].
   See

      http://www.sitpro.org.uk/news/articles/snse200504c.html
      http://www.unece.org/cefact/cf_plenary/plenary05/cf_05_29e.pdf
      http://www.asemec-london.org/presentations/paperless/Paperless_d1_4.pdf

   AGREED that it's OK to continue the exploratory meetings with
   DTTN.

   AnneH: Input to ATG2 [#6 in the Europe/Asia minutes]?

   JonB: MarkC is our liaison to ATG.

   ACTION: Mavis to send input to MarkC.

NDR WORK SESSION

   JonB: The NDR editors should tell us how to proceed from here.

   MavisC: At the TC meeting in McLean we resolved all the NDR
   issues outstanding at that time and implemented the changes in
   the NDR document.  MikeG kept a tally of the changes, and KenS
   was given responsibility for capturing errata.  At that point,
   we had a stable working draft.  Since then we've added the
   following issues: local/global (global ID and Code); the
   architecture of Reusable; possible future changes resulting
   from UN/UBL alignment.  We can probably still complete the NDR
   work by the end of June, which is when DavidK goes on vacation.

   MartyB: Remember Code Lists.

   MavisC: We need to understand the possible NDR impact of the
   Code List proposal.

   StephenG: Remember the minor versioning strategy.

   JonB: We didn't promise this for 2.0, just that we would put in
   place the change needed to make the definition of a minor
   versioning strategy possible.

   MartyB: Are substitution groups OK?

   JonB: That's what we're putting off right now.  Resolution of
   this issue will affect our adoption of a code list strategy,
   but we can't have that discussion till MarkC gets back from
   vacation.

   SylviaW: But then there are other vacations (DavidK et al.) in
   July.

   AGREED that MikeG and MavisC will review the current Code List
   proposal, assess the impact of the proposal on the NDRs, distil
   out the strands that need input from MarkC, and suggest
   resolution of the remaining issues for TC approval as input to
   DavidK.

   AGREED that by the end of June we will resolve and implement
   all of the NDR changes not relating to code lists and will
   resolve all the noncontroversial code list issues, so that the
   only things remaining will be the issues needing MarkC's input.

   AGREED that MavisC will review the xml-dev thread regarding
   redefine as an alternative to substitution groups and then
   contact Henry Thompson for clarification (MartyB could not get
   Henry's suggestion to work).

   AGREED that MavisC will begin the next phase of NDR work by
   posting the latest NDR doc and outstanding issues for our
   information and comments.  [From today's discussion it appears
   that the major NDR issues are: (1) changing all elements to
   global, (2) rearchitecting Reusable, (3) versioning, (4) code
   lists.]

   AGREED that some of the NDR work will take place during the
   Europe/Asia TC call as well as the Atlantic TC call and that
   MavisC will provide weekly notices of which subjects will be
   discussed during each meeting so that members can know in
   advance when items of interest will be on the agenda of each TC
   call.

   AnneH: Digital signatures?

   MavisC: In Hangzhou, it was agreed that ThomasL will discuss
   this with CrimsonLogic at the upcoming ebXML Asia Committee
   meeting in Hong Kong.

   AnneH: Customization?

   AGREED that we will pick up the discussion of customization
   methodology in the times currently reserved for NDR work
   sessions following resolution of the NDR issues.

OTHER BUSINESS

   ACTION: JonB to send a reminder about leaves of absence.

   ACTION: JonB to generate a detailed timeline for UBL 2.0.

   StephenG: Proposal under discussion in OASIS to make URLs for
   OASIS specs case-insensitive.

   JonB: We hope that this ill-considered proposal will be opened
   for general discussion before it becomes policy.

Jon