ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Treasury Tag Pattern: to 'glue' two instances having different schemas

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Duane Nickull wrote:

>>....  You would have to have some out of
>>bandwidth agreement with the receiver ....

Did you mean "out-of-band agreement", or did I miss your pun
that the agreement would be so voluminous as to run out of
bandwidth?

>>DN - agree with UBL thinking.  xs:any is harmful for interoperability
>>since an instance may pass but could have anything in it.  It also
>>leaves the door wide open for DoS attacks (a couple hundred mbs of CDATA
>>could be added to messages and they would be processed).

I can appreciate your words of caution on use of xsd:any, but
won't go so far as to associate xsd:any as a "built-in security
weakness" of XSD that allows DoS attacks ;   a simple proof would be
to see that DoS attacks can occur with huge incoming UBL 1.0
invoice/PO/etc instances even though UBL 1.0 has no use of xsd:any.
I shan't say how, but probably most would easily figure it out.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979