ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Code list question

Dear Jon,

1. ECALGA's case in Japan
As I said before, ECALGA of JEITA has about 50 business documents and has
about 100 codes.
In ECALGA's specification, the concept and code list specification are
followings.

1.1 Code List specification
The document format of ECALGA's Code list specification is MS Word only.
The contents of Code List specification are followings.
(1) Code Name
  Example: Correction Code
(2) Max length (Character length)
  Example: 1
(3) Definition (Value and Meaning)
  Example: 1:New
              2: Change
              3: Cancellation

1.2 Validation by XML Schema
ECALGA has XML Schema (XSD) for all business documents. The number of the
XML Schema (XSD) is about 50.
ECALGA users can validate the XML instance of the targeted business document
by using these XML Schema (XSD).

On the other hand, ECALGA doesn't have XML Schema for Code Lists.
This means that ECALGA users cannot validate the contents of Codes by XML
Schema.

[For example in case of above example (Correction Code)]
User can validate the representation type (Numerical value from 1 to 9) and
cardinality (0,,1) of this BIE (Correction Code) by using XML Schema of the
targeted business document.
But, User cannot validate the contents (1 or 2 or 3) of this BIE (Correction
Code) by XML Schema.
Usually in ECALGA's case, application program will check the contents (1 or
2 or 3), or this check will be done by manually.

2. My opinion
We (UBL Users) need the definitions of Codes. The definition is the value
and meaning.
But we do not necessarily need the automated validation mechanism (by
computer) regarding the contents of Codes.
I think that the validation processing of Code contents would be left to an
application or manual processing.

I hope this will help your question.

Best Regards,
Yukinori Saito
Yukinori Saito
Fuji Electric Information Service Co., Ltd. (FIS)
e-mail: saito-yukinori@fujielectric.co.jp
Tel: +81-3-5435-7333     Fax: +81-3-5435-7513